In Light and Water's Hands

Click, clack—there went the sounds of heels coming from a distance.

Click, clack, click, clack—there it was again, perhaps, two pairs or more coming nearer and nearer.

Athena, still clutching onto the red fabric, awoke as she heard the incoming footsteps, paired with voices that were on their way to her.

Hastily, she rose and covered herself with the makeshift blanket. The pain had manifested again, reminding her of her predicament and the possibility of another torment. She tried to settle the ache, but as she moved a little, her wounds stretched—causing more pain as she moaned while kneeling and balancing on her hands.

"Ah!" A shriek escaped from her lips.

"Goodness me! Dear lady, please be still." Athena was stunned by the strangers who were now by the iron bars. "Please do not move, my lady. We are here to help." A matronly woman, who had a face lined with distinct wisdom but was still all bonny and sweet, ordered her as she opened the barrier.

"We have something for your wounds, my lady!" Another woman added—younger than the other but equally gentle.

Athena was curious about them. Eyes, though dreary and foggy, pierced on their whole being—gingerly studying as they were fidgeting with the keys and lock of the door.

They were not a familiar face. The two ladies were strangers, although there was some kind of easiness emanating from their aura.

Despite being frightened and enfeebled, Athena greeted them with a smile after they had fruitfully opened the door and entered.

"Good morning, my lady!" The older woman gently greeted her as she kneeled and brushed the tangles away from her face.

"Oh, we are glad you are now awake!" The other one said.

Lips were tight, but Athena smiled once more in response. Her doe eyes brightened once she saw their face up close. Seeing this, both women cheerily beamed at her, finding her face still beguiling despite the noticeable stress that currently ornate her features.

"Fear not, your grace." The older woman stated, "We are here with an open heart to help you. Goodness! I lost my manners. My name is Liene."

"And I am called Naida." The younger one followed as she handed a basket to her companion.

"It—it is nice to—to meet you." Silver-eyed maiden finally uttered. "I ca—cannot express ho—how grateful I am for yo-your kindness." Gradually, tears began to bawl on those orbs.

Liene and Naida felt flattered.

"Just doing what is right, your grace." Liene heartily answered as she carefully bundled Athena's long hair and gently cleaned the wounds on her back. "I want you to be still, my lady. I will now tend to your injuries.

Athena nodded, permitting her to aid on her wounds despite flinching from the needle-like discomfort with every cautious stroke Liene did.

"May I know i—if someone sent you here?"

"Oh, it is—"

"Well—" Liene pressed through midway Naida's reply while secretly gesturing her not to say anything more. "We—well, we came here by ourselves." A hint of fear promptly lingered in her tone.

"Yes, my lady. We came here in hush-hush. We cannot bear to see you degraded by those wicked ones like you were some stray animal. Enyo might have forced us to go and watch you tortured, but there were a number of us who did not heed, knowing what she was doing was against our principles.