Chapter 2

A new day. The alarm clock went off at the same time as usual. Ruth got out of bed and showered, as usual. She dressed in a white T-shirt, black jeans, black Converse and a black sweatshirt. She left her house and arrived at the Olio around 12 o'clock, as usual. In fact, her whole life was a routine. Get up, shower, work and sleep. Work was what took up most of her time. The bar was in the center of town, and it was always very busy. Ruth worked six days a week and was off on Fridays.

As Ruth walked through the door of the bar she saw Carol, very focused, placing bottles of liquor on the shelves. Not far behind her was Alf.

"Ruth, I need to talk to you for a moment." Alf said as he saw her enter. Ruth walked over to where he was standing "I need you to go back to overtime. You need to stay and lend a hand for the night."

"Alf, you're going too far. You know I only work two nights a week, and that's already three this week. I haven't been off for two Fridays. It's not fair."

Alf lightly grabbed Ruth's arm and pulled her away a little "Ruth, I'm really sorry. But you know the bar hasn't been going so well lately, and I seem to be bouncing back now." He sighed "I'm a man of my word, and I promise you that when I'm in a better situation, you can go back to doing your usual shift and I'll pay you all the overtime I owe you, okay?"ç

Ruth watched him before nodding slightly " All right. It's okay."

Alf took her hand and gave it a slight squeeze "Thank you, dear."

Ruth gave him a small smile before turning to Carol, sniffling.

"Let me guess: you have to work overtime again." Ruth nodded "Don't worry, the rest of us have been asked too."

"I'm so tired..." Ruth muttered.

" Why is that? You didn't sleep well?" asked Carol as she continued to tidy up bottles.

"No, I'm tired of all this." Carol turned and looked her in the eye. Ruth sat down on one of the stools and rested her forehead on her hand "When I was little and dreamed of what my adult life would be like I didn't imagine this. I work here because I have to pay the bills, but I don't like it. I don't know if it happens to you, but sometimes I feel like I'm stuck."

"Ruth." Carol took her friend's hand "This isn't what I imagined either. I had lots and lots of dreams, just like you. But sometimes life gives us setbacks. You know that better than anyone."

Ruth looked away, but Carol kept talking "But we mustn't lose hope. Someday we'll get out of here and live the life we want. You'll see. You have to trust the process."