Chapter I

Every night you'd glance at this book, this book you'd already finished weeks ago. But it was the one you didn't want to part with for fear of forgetting. How could you forget that day? That hot summer afternoon, the balmy air outside hadn't affected the air in the bookshop. It was a small bookshop on the corner of a little-used street. I'd been there so often that I knew the layout and aisles by heart.
I was desperately looking for a new book to add to my vast collection when I noticed a tall, svelete man leafing through a book in the aisle.
His skin was as pale as a child's, and even looked...soft. His black hair was tousled as if he'd just woken up.
I tried to make out the title of the book he was flipping through. My gaze was so insistent that he sensed it and looked in my direction. I quickly looked away, embarrassed. I was staring at him like a madwoman of course he was going to notice me, dumbass. I sighed silently, when I felt a light, gentle pressure on my shoulder. My body taced the man standing behind me. It was the man from the aley, handing me his book with his broad left hand. I watched his long, slender fingers wrap around half the book.
- "Do you want it?"
I looked up at him at the sound of his husky voice. He had one of those looks that draws you in with its depth. One of those intense gazes you could drown in. He'd noticed me staring at him... I looked away, embarrassed by the situation.
- " I saw you observe it, If you ask me, it's one of the best books you'll ever read. "
I looked at him with interest; I'd rarely met men so passionate about books.
- "What kind of book is it?" I pronounced hesitantly.
- " It's a philosophical book that provides reflections on the so-called "simple" things in life. You should read it, it's very instructive."
He handed me the book, and I could finally see the title clearly:
"The unbearable lightness of being"
was the title that flashed infront of my eyes.
I took the book from his hands to read the small summary at the back.
- "Are you sure I can take it? That book seemed to interest you."
I avoided eye contact with him, unsettled by his presence.
- "I've already read it several times.
He replied, scratching the back of his neck.
- "Oh, okay... so emm thank you"
There was a slight pause before his phone started ringing loudly.
- "It's been a pleasure, I hope you like it, I've got to go".
I was taken aback by his announcement, by the time I realized he was already far away from me.
- "Hey-... Wai-" He couldn't hear me, he was outside the bookshop.
I sighed in despair, couldn't even ask his name...
I went to pay for the book and shuffled home.
Weeks went by and I never saw the boy from the bookshop again.
Time goes by and I have to deal with it, even if this short interaction will remain engraved in my memory. I'm still hoping to see him again, and the thought was driving the excitement through my body. It's 3 a.m. and I've got nothing to do but stare at that book on my bedside table, thinking about every little moment we've shared.

I may have idealized the moment...
I finally fell asleep on that thought.

I was awakened by my shrill alarm clock, turned it off and rubbed my eyes. Sleep deprivation was taking its toll, it was going to be a long day.
I yawned as I held onto my bedside table for balance.
As I held my position, I brushed against something. The book.
I sighed deeply.
- "Forget it."
I said to myself and went to get ready.
I stopped in front of my reflection in the mirror, I was now wearing my exorcism school uniform. Now the serious stuff starts Y/n. I took a deep breath and stepped out of my small apartment.

I'd opted for a more independent life and didn't want to live under my parent's roof.

As I walked through the school gates, anxiety rose in my chest.
All the new students, first-years like me, were gathered outside. I made my way through them to get ready to listen to the new year.
I scratched my arm repeatedly because of the stress I couldn't control. I was sweeping my gaze around, when among all the faces I noticed a familiar one.
The same sweet face that had marked me that summer day.
The boy from the bookshop.
It was him, I was sure.
I stared at him intently, scrutinizing every detail of his face as I had done on our previous, first meeting.
I still couldn't believe it. What kind of coincidence was this? Lost in my thoughts, I hadn't realized that he'd noticed me too.
My heart leapt in my chest, surprised to see his gaze lost in mine.
I wanted to detach myself from his gaze, but I couldn't, it was... sucking me in, like a huge void. But it wasn't an agonizing void, it was actually soothing. I lost myself in his eyes for a few seconds, when the principal's appealing voice brought me back to the harsh reality that wasn't the sweetness of his eyes.
The principal called the students by name to form classes. The surrounding area emptied as the groups made their way to their classrooms.
He was still there. A few meters away from me. Although our gazes had parted abruptly, I could still feel his presence. In fact, he had an incredible aura.