Chapter II

In the end, the day hadn't been as long and exhausting as I'd feared. It had been full of twists and turns, not that I minded.
I was happy, happy to have found him. The one I'd been thinking for weeks was going to share my class for a year.  My heart warmed at the thought.
Megumi had recommended a new book, not one from the school library but one of his.
It made me even happier, it meant so much to me. I was going to read it when I got home.
I went home with Megumi's book safely in my bag.
I spent that evening reading Megumi's book, and got so caught up in it that I couldn't see the time go by.
The books Megumi recommended to me weren't the kind of books I'd turn to on my own, but now that I've had a chance to read them, I understand why he likes them so much.

I ended up falling asleep on the book.

The next morning had gone quite well. I hadn't chatted with Megumi or made eye contact, so there was no interaction between us. This didn't particularly affect me, because after all, what were we? Friends? Acquaintances? I don't know how he regards me.

This morning, Nobara introduced me to one of his friends, Yuji. He was a kind and helpful boy, basically a sweetheart.

It was lunchtime, so I sat down at a table with Nobara, the same as yesterday.
Yuji wasn't eating with us. He and Megumi were eating outside the school.

- "Ready for this afternoon?" Nobara exclaimed at me.

- "Yes that should be fine." I replied, playing with the food in my tray.

- "After all it's just a simple mission" She seemed sure of herself.

I nodded.

That afternoon, Nobara and I had teamed up with another duo to take down some lower-class curses in a disused building. Our duo was assigned to Yuji and Megumi's, so it was reassuring to be with people I knew. Socializing is not my forte. I'm not going to lie, but I was a little stressed, as this was our first mission as apprentice exorcists.

The lunch break went by very quickly, like yesterday, as time always flies by with Nobara.

We arrived in front of the building, Yuji and Megumi hadn't arrived yet and I could see Nobara getting impatient.

- " Where the hell are they? " she said, stamping her foot violently on the ground, she could almost be frightening.

I giggled

- " Nobara... Don't get upset, they're not late, we're early " I replied.

The boys arrived about ten minutes later. Yuji with a smile on his face and a good mood, and... Megumi, with her nonchalant attitude and stoic face. But it's Megumi we don't blame.

- Is everyone ready? "Yuji exclaimed, slamming his fist into his palm.

We all nodded and headed inside the building.

The interior was dark and the walls were falling apart, and there was a smell of putrified flesh, probably from the curses.

I held a flashlight to illuminate the others, who were ready for any eventuality, and would only draw my weapon if necessary.

As we moved deeper and deeper into the building, that same maddening aura had been hovering around us ever since we'd arrived. It was almost suffocating.

- I feel like we're being watched. "Nobara broke the heavy silence.

- "I agree."

I totally agreed with Nobara's remark, I didn't feel comfortable here.

- "My familiars didn't notice anything, they would have told me one way or another."

Megumi finally said something, since he'd arrived he hadn't said a word.