Chapter 1: A Transfer Student

<< CotE: Tied Beginnings >>

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

Emerging from the depths of my slumber, my eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the sun's warm, pastel radiance shining through my window. The warmth of my bed embraced me, enticing me to stay nestled within its folds.

With a resigned sigh, I finally forced myself to sit up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. As I got out of bed, I couldn't help but contemplate the events that recently took place in my first year of high school, especially my encounters with Tsukishiro.

Tsukishiro Tokinaro, who is currently serving as the acting director of ANHS, was dispatched by my father with the intention of expelling me. In one of our meetings, he presented a peculiar proposition: a 'game' where the objective was to identify the newly enrolled students affiliated with the White Room, those tasked with expelling me. I harbored doubts about his claim that there was only one student.

While the White Room students stood nowhere close to my level, they were far more capable than the average student of their age. Moreover, they were operating on the premise that they would have to leave the school eventually, leading them to employ tactics that could potentially bring me down in the process.

The peaceful life I had yearned for seemed to be slipping through my grasp. Given my father's escalating efforts to retrieve me, a time would arrive when I'd need to reveal a greater extent of my capabilities. This would be essential to sustain my freedom for as long as possible.

'I want to be free. I want to have friends. Isn't it normal to feel that way? Look around you. It's just me and you. We're going to be like this for over ten years.'

As I pondered on the future ahead of me, a recollection surfaced of an old classmate's words before they dropped out. In hindsight, it was ironic—back then, I had disagreed with his concept of freedom, yet I now found myself pursuing that very same ideal.

Although I didn't hold any specific sentiments toward the White Room, I remained resolute in my decision not to return, as I valued my freedom. I fled to ANHS to venture into the intricacies of the outside world, driven by the pursuit of answers to a multitude of questions that the White Room could never teach me — What is merit? What is equality? What does it feel like to live a normal life?

And most importantly—can I change for the better?

Snapping out of my thoughts, I decided to prepare myself some instant ramen for breakfast. After boiling some water and pouring it into the bowl, I picked it up and found a cozy spot at the table. Then, with a mix of hunger and anticipation, I dipped my chopsticks into the bowl, enjoying a refreshing breakfast.

After completing my morning routine, I exited the dorm building. The sun greeted me outside, casting a warm embrace across the courtyard, as the chatter of students echoed throughout the air. As I strolled down the path leading to the main school building, I spotted a blue-haired girl ahead of me, walking at a leisurely pace.

Closing the gap between us, I decided to call out to her, "Good morning, Haruka."

"Ah!" Haruka jolted, her shoulders tensing visibly. She slowly turned around, her eyes wide. It was clear that my unexpected greeting had taken her by surprise.

"What the hell, Kiyopon?" She blurted out, with a hint of surprise and annoyance. "Don't scare me like that."

"Sorry, sorry." Really, I didn't mean to startle her like that.

"If you're really sorry then... buy me ice cream!"

"Not a chance," I deadpanned. "Only I get to have ice cream. If you want, I can get you coffee instead."