Chapter 4: Friendly and Unfriendly Interactions

<< CotE: Tied Beginnings >>

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

"That should be all for the lesson. Enjoy your lunch break," announced Chabashira, prompting students to depart from the classroom.

As usual, Horikita chose to remain in the classroom, quietly eating her own lunch. It was clear that she didn't have any particular conversation in mind with me, signifying her determination to face this exam independently.

As I sat at my desk in the midst of the bustling classroom, my mind began to wander back in time. The lively voices of students faded into the background as I started to recall my conversation with Kei over the phone from last night.

"Why were you calling me, Kei?"

<Well, I don't know if this actually matters to you, but... me and my friends saw some first-years fighting in the alleyway behind Pallet Cafe just a while ago.>

"Do you know what class they were from?"

<No, I don't... Oh, but it was like, really crazy. They looked like they really wanted to kill each other.>

"I see. I'll end the call now—"

<Wait!>

"What is it?"

<You have some explaining to do! That girl... oh yeah, Yuki! What's the relationship between the both of you?!>

"We're just old friends. Nothing more, nothing less."

<Really?>

"Yes, really."

<Why did she hug you back in the classroom, huh?!>

"I don't know. I wasn't expecting it either. Maybe she was just happy to see me again?"

<So, you two aren't... d-dating?>

"Nope."

A/N: In case y'all mfs forgot, Kiyotaka isn't dating Kei in this timeline. This was mentioned in the prologue.

<Ah... okay...>

"...Is that all?"

<Yep, that's all! Good night, Kiyotaka!>

"Good night, Kei."

A conflict among students within the initial week of school seemed unlikely unless pre-existing animosity existed between them from before high school. There was a chance that a third party instigated the fight, yet without more detail, the former scenario appeared more plausible. As a precaution, I shared this information with the group chat containing Yuki and Shiro.

"Yo, Kiyotaka," greeted Akito as he came over, followed by the rest of the Ayanokouji group. "Wanna join us in the cafeteria?"

"Sure," I replied, rising from my seat to accompany them.

While we strolled down the hallway toward the cafeteria, a familiar blonde-haired girl dashed toward us from behind as her aura radiated with joy, attracting the attention of students around her.

"Isn't that... Kiyotaka's friend?" questioned Keisei, adjusting his glasses using his index finger. "I think her name was Tsubaki."

"Y-yeah," affirmed Sakura.

"Well, there's no problem with it, right?" asked Akito, a smirk adorning his face. "Oh, and Kiyotaka, did you end up showing her your—"

"Hey, guys!" called Yuki, thankfully interrupting Akito's question. "Is it alright if I have lunch with you all?"