T W E N T Y - N I N E ☯︎ FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS

I raise my hand to knock on the door

This time more willingly than the last. Father is on a work trip for the rest of the weekend and Mom didn't go with which doesn't happen too often.

There aren't a whole lot of times where you'd see my mother and father separated so I took the opportunity to see her.

I know my father would have something to say about something and quite frankly, I don't want to be yelled at.

The door swings open to reveal my mother's warm smile and open arms.

"Hi, my sweetheart. Come in, come in." She ushers me inside, taking my suitcase from my hands.

Every time I walk in through this I look around the large foyer, the two large staircases, the shiny marble floors, the high ceilings.

There's no life, no proof that this is a home that's lived in. Father always yearned for the finer things in life, the things that you'd see in a magazine.

And it may seem like a dream come true to live in a house that belonged in a reality tv show, but it was a lot for an 8 year old boy to grow up in.

And it was even more for a boy to grow up with a father who saw him only as an opportunity, for his only wish to be his father's approval.

To feel like he's proud of me.

Looking at the lifeless portraits on the walls symbolizes just how I feel inside.

"I have so much planned for us, my sweet boy. I know your father doesn't always like us to go out in public without him but I thought maybe we could spend some time creating just a few more memories." Her smile seems like it's only halfway there. Like somethings bothering her.

"Of course, mom. What do you have planned?" She leads me to the excessively large living area. No family pictures, just tall buildings, and father's business awards.

No liveliness.

"I'm thinking we go for breakfast, then walk around the plaza for a bit. Maybe stop for dinner on the way home?" she suggests, enthusiastically waiting for my answer.

I smile back at her, I know she misses me and I know I should call more but I also know that Father will sneak his way into the conversation just to talk me down about something that isn't meeting his expectations which is everything.

"Sounds good, Mom." she claps her hands together, her beautiful, warm smile widening.

"Alright great, um, I'll get changed and then we can go. Oh, I'm just so happy to see you!" she pats my cheek, the cold metal of her diamond ring sending shivers down my spine.