Chapter Eight

The Battle of Starcourt

El wails in pain and everyone scrambles to do comfort her, "What is that?" Erica asks, "There's something in there

El wails in pain and everyone scrambles to do comfort her, "What is that?" Erica asks, "There's something in there." Mike says, "Well no shit! Someone do something!" I yell and Jonathan runs off, "El it's gonna be okay." I say and she squeezes my hand so tightly I think my hand might fall off. We move her so she's sat up and Robin bables. "You know it's actually not that bad. The goalie on my soccer team, Beath Wildfire, this other girl slid into her leg, and the bone came out of her knee. Six inches or something, it was insane." She says, "Robin. You're not helping." Steve says and I turn to El and Jonathan gives her a spoon to bite down on. 

"This is gonna hurt like hell. Need you to stay real still." He says and she sobs and he takes a knife and begins to cut into her leg. She screams and everyone gasps looking like they might throw up. He reaches into her leg and El screams and so does everyone else. He keeps going and everyone argues, "No! Stop it! Stop!" El screams and I pull my brother back, "I can do it. I can do it." El sobs and he grabs the thing with her powers and she screams and I gasp. She takes it out and as she yells the glass behind us shatters. She pulls it out and throws  it away from her on the floor. Then a foot stomps it. 

We look up and see Hopper, my mom and some guy, thank god. "The Mind Flayer, it built this monster in Hawkins, to stop El and Jessie, to kill everyone and pave a way into our world." Mike says as we all regroup, "And it almost did. That was just one tiny piece of it." Nancy says and I rub my head another migraine is approaching. "How big is this thing?" Hopper asks, "It's big. Thirty feet at least." Jonathan says and Lucas cuts in, "Yeah. It sorta destroyed your cabin and ripped my girlfriend apart." He says and I turn to him with a concerned look. "Okay, so, just to be clear, this  big fleshy spider thing that killed Misty and hurt El,  it's some kind of gigantic weapon? But instead of, like, screws and metal, the Mind Flayer made its weapon with melted people." Steve says trying to understand everything. 

"Yeah and from what I saw it was a whole lot of people. For some reason Billy isn't apart of the monster I saw him in the store after we left. He knows where we are." I say and Steve shakes his head, "Wait how do you know that?" He asks, "Jessie has episodes where she bleeds a lot and sees things happening currently that involve the upside down." Mike says and I nod, "Yeah and when I say a lot of blood. I mean like gallons of blood." I say and Steve clicks his tongue, "Well that checks out." He says and I nod. "Are we sure this thing is still out there, still alive?" My mom asks, "El beat the shit out of it, but, yeah, it's still alive." Max says and I put my head in my palms. "But if we close the gate again." Will says, "We cut the brain off from the body." Max says, "And kill it. We fucking kill it." Lucas says angrily and I stand up and sigh.  

The man storms over with plans of the base, and we all circle around him. He shows us the locations, "I think the gate is fairly close to the vault room, maybe 50 feet or so." He says and Erica cuts in, "More like 500. What, you're just gonna waltz in there like it's commie Disneyland or something?" She asks and I grin a bit. "I'm sorry, who are you?" The man asks and she scoffs, "Erica Sinclair. Who are you?" She asks, "Murray Bauman." He says in shock and I smirk a bit. "Listen, Mr. Bunman, I'm not trying to tell you how to do things, but I've been down in that shithole for twenty four hours. And with all due respect, you do what this man tells you, you're all gonna die." She says and I laugh, "I'm sorry, why is this four year old speaking to me?" Murray asks, "Um, I'm ten, you bald bastard!" She yells and Lucas yells at her and I burst out laughing.