☰02- THE SHIELD EVENT

[WASHINGTON DC, PENNSYLVANIA]

   I had listened to music while I drove the four hours to DC, a playlist I titled 'Tony has good taste.' Which he did. It was actually more calming and better than teleporting, especially because it was fall and the fall colors were nice to admire as I drove by. The ride really didn't feel like four hours, it felt much shorter and I sort of wished it wasn't that way.

I pulled up to the Smithsonian and put on my jacket before stepping out of my car. There was a nice breeze outside and the air was crisp feeling nice, so I closed my eyes and inhaled the fall air.

   "Hey, Mel." I looked over to see Rhodey.

   "Hi, uncle Rhodey." I smiled and we hugged.

   "Nice car, at least you have your mother's class." He jokes and I nod.

   "Yeah, it's a smooth drive and I definitely put in touches of Stark charm."

   "I heard." He chuckles.

   He had been coming by the house at least once a month and there was no escaping him, though we only ever talked about current 'hero' things because I never wanted it to get emotional.

   "You've been sleeping?"

   "Uh.. Yeah, more than before at least."

   "That's better than nothing."

   "Yeah." I agree and give another smile.

   "Let's go inside, it's cold out here."

   "Yeah." I followed him across the parking lot. "I kinda like it though. I can start getting warm drinks now."

   "I thought you liked iced drinks better than warm drinks."

   "I do." I look at him. "But warm drinks just seem more mature and comforting."

"Right." He nods. "18 in two months, are you gonna have a—"

"No." I answered and instantly felt regret like I was 12 again and trying to keep my walls up. "Sorry, but.. no.."

   "It's okay, I understand." He gave me a pity look, I hated that.

   We walked in, getting a few pictures from some reporters, we hadn't stopped, they were just snapping pictures as we walked inside.
   The museum was pretty silent, but looked nice.

   "Mel, you actually came." Sam walked over to us.

   "It's a big day." I told him and we hugged. "So, um... Are you sure you want to do this?"
   I asked as I looked over at the shield that sat against the podium.

   "Yeah, yeah." He answers. "You want to come up there to give it away with me? You are a Stark after all."

   I shake my head. "No, I just came to support your decision. And because you were practically begging me."

   "All right. All right." He chuckles and looks at me. "Before I go up there, do you have an objections? Speak now or forever hold your piece."

   "Or—"

   "Don't even joke about stealing it." Rhodey says.

   I smile. "Good luck up there, you'll do great."

   "Thanks." He nods but doesn't look too confident. He took a deep breath, telling us that he was going up now and walked up to the podium.

   Rhodey and I moved to the front of the crowd to watch him.