Chapter 1- Prologue

Sand. Nothing but sand in every direction, as far as the eye could see. Well it was called the village hidden in the sand; logically it had to be surrounded by the stuff. The blonde trudged through the dunes, sometimes sinking up to his knees in them. He cast a longing gaze around him, looking for shade, water, anything! But saw nothing apart from sun-baked sand. He lost his footing and rolled down the dune, coming to rest in a depression at the foot of the sand. He lay there unable to move, his strength drained by the heat. He dug his hand in his pocket, clutching the leaf headband.

"I really wish I'd thought this through more," The blonde muttered as he closed his eyes.

Naruto's mind found its way back in what used to be his home after he'd promised Sakura he'd bring back Sasuke. After his training with Jiraiya, Naruto had returned to Konoha and met Sasuke in the valley of the end just as he had three years ago. The fight between him and Sasuke had ended up with Sasuke's Chidori punching a hole through his chest then he blacked out. The next thing Naruto knew, he was standing over an unconscious, barely alive, Sasuke. Kyuubi told Naruto he'd taken control and flattened him.

"It was either you or him and I made the choice for you," Kyuubi had growled as Naruto picked up Sasuke. Anbu had grabbed him the second he'd come through Konoha's main gates, they'd taken Sasuke to the hospital and dragged him in front of the council. Tsunade, Iruka and Jiraiya had tried to defend him but every ninja in the village had felt the blast of chakra released when Kyuubi took control. He still found his stomach sinking when he remembered the words of the head council member, Danzo.

"Naruto Uzumaki, vessel of the Kyuubi-no-Kitsune, you are hereby Banished from the village hidden in the leaves. Should you ever return to this village, you will be put to death. Is that in anyway unclear?"

Naruto shook his head, clenching his fists. He looked down at the floor, murmuring, "It wasn't my fault. It wasn't it wasn't!" he started to yell it, "it wasn't my fault!"

"Uzumaki, control yourself! You will be allowed four hours to collect your belongings and leave."

With those words, Danzo and the council members stood and left the room. Naruto also left the room wordlessly, ignoring everyone he passed. As he walked through the streets, the usual jeers and insults met his ears but he had learned to filter them out long ago.

Naruto looked around his apartment as he opened the door, from the bed to the kitchen. He picked up the photo of him, Sakura, Kakashi and Sasuke from the table next to his bed. Pulling a bag from under his bed, he stuffed the photo into it. Naruto had spent almost an hour packing, sealing the larger objects into scrolls and throwing the other items straight into his bag, when there was a knock on the door. He crossed the room and opened the door to see Lee, Tenten, Hinata and Neji standing there.

"Naruto, they can't do this to you," Lee said, eyes blazing.

"I agree," Neji added.

"They already have," Naruto's voice had none of his normal energy as he went back to packing.

"How can you stand there and accept their decision?" Tenten demanded.

"Easily." Naruto said flatly.

"My father has...has a lot of influence on the council; maybe...maybe he can change the decision," Hinata said.

"There's nothing to do, the council's choice is final."

"At least come and...and have a goodbye bowl of...of ramen with us," Hinata pleaded.

"How can I say no to that?" Naruto laughed, uncomfortably.

Team 9 and Hinata led a still gloomy Naruto to Ichiraku. Naruto's expression brightened slightly as he saw Kakashi, Iruka, Gai, Asuma, Kurenai, Shikamaru, Choji, Ino, Kiba with Akamaru at his feet, and Shino waiting for them.

The five bowls of ramen passed in almost complete silence. Naruto didn't bolt the ramen in his normal way, as if he was savouring every bite. He eventually finished and made his way back to his apartment, accompanied by the crowd, and collected his bag. Kakashi noticed the Anbu squad on the roof above Naruto's apartment. The Anbu squad, Naruto's send-off party casting dirty looks at them, escorted the blonde fox boy to the main gate.

Once they reached the gate, the Anbu parted, letting the crowd say their final goodbyes.

Kiba slapped him on the back, as did Lee and Gai.

"This is troublesome," Shikamaru said in his usual drawl.

Choji didn't say anything but handed Naruto an unopened packet of chips.

Naruto turned to Hinata, who seemed to be about to cry. She suddenly wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.

"Take care Naruto," she whispered in his ear.

"I'll be fine," he said as Hinata let him go.

"Naruto, where will you go?" Iruka asked.

"I don't know," Naruto lied, giving the Chunin a weak smile, "see you round Iruka-sensei."

With that, Naruto turned his back on the village hidden in the leaves and walked off into the forest.

Truth be told, Naruto knew of a safe haven, or at least a place he could call home.

Sunagakure.

Naruto was brought back to baking reality by the cry of a vulture. His grip tightened around the leaf headband in his left hand.

Well at least the council will be happy I'm dead. Naruto thought to himself.

Then a shadow fell over him. He looked up at the person standing over him, all Naruto could see through his blurred vision was short red hair and the gourd.

"Gaara?" he asked the shadow and passed out.