Chapter 6-In the eyes of the beholder

Naruto slammed his head against a sound ninja's, then booted him back to what was left of his squad. The remaining ninja turned and fled as Sasuke fired several great dragon fire blasts after them. Neji slammed his open palm against a stubborn sound ninja; he choked and collapsed to the ground. The three ninja turned their backs on the destruction they had wreaked and walked back to the village. Naruto couldn't shift the feeling that someone was watching him, Sasuke and Neji as they walked. He managed to shake his worries; he stretched and rolled his shoulders as the village walls came into view.

"Man, Orochimaru isn't letting up," Naruto groaned as his left shoulder cracked.

They entered the village and went their own ways. Naruto weaved his way through the ninja; he froze as a scream met his ears.

"How the hell did we loose almost three entire Anbu squads?!" Tsunade screamed as Shizune wisely ducked for cover. Naruto flickered, dodging a chunk of rubble that Tsunade hurled in her anger.

"The survivors report that they were attacked by a four man cell. Apparently each of the members of the team had a curse mark," Shizune said, still hiding.

Naruto decided to follow Shizune's example and moved out of the firing line. He saw Hinata and walked over to her.

"Hinata, can I talk to you? Somewhere private," Naruto asked her quietly.

Hinata nodded and slipped her hand into Naruto's. He led the way through the village until they reached the training grounds. Hinata was puzzled until Naruto started speaking.

"Hinata, before we become any closer, I want you to know something about me."

Hinata looked into Naruto's face.

"Do you know the story of the nine-tailed fox that attacked the village almost eighteen years ago?"

Hinata nodded.

"Well, the Yondaime managed to defeat the fox, but at the cost of his life, by sealing it within a newborn baby," Naruto paused, "that baby was me."

Hinata's eyes were wide as Naruto raised his shirt for the proof, the spiral seal. Naruto dropped his shirt back down and looked away from Hinata. This time it was Hinata who made Naruto look at her. Naruto expected her eyes to be filled with hatred or loathing but all he could see was her love of him.

"So that's why the villagers hated you. They thought you were the nine-tails."

Naruto nodded.

"And during the fight with Sasuke, the fox must have taken control of you to save itself."

Naruto swallowed hard, "you really don't care that I'm a demon vessel?"

"You are Naruto, and that's all I care about," Hinata whispered, drawing closer.

Naruto also came closer to Hinata. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he slid his around her waist. A bird chose that moment to take flight from a nearby tree, scattering cherry blossoms into the slight breeze. Neither Naruto nor Hinata noticed the pink snowstorm as their lips locked.

Hinata walked with Neji back to the relatively untouched Hyuuga compound, a small smile creasing the corner of her mouth. They entered through the main door and saw Hiashi waiting for them in the courtyard. Hinata and Neji stopped in front of the Hyuuga elder as Hanabi peered out from behind Hiashi.