Chapter 15-Epilogue - Fireflies and Fireworks

After the war had ended, Konoha had taken a while to recover and rebuild but with help from neighbouring countries it was almost back to normal within six months. The civilian population had started to trickle back once the first few buildings had gone up. During the rebuilding work, Himeka had decided that Naruto and Hinata needed more space than his old apartment had to offer. Naruto and Hinata's new home had been build not too far from the Hyuuga compound. Naruto was still trying to get his head around the size of his new home. The defeat of Orochimaru send ripples passed through the other lands making enemies cower and allies cheer. But the final nail in Orochimaru's coffin was the land of sound returning to its former self, the land of rice fields.

With everything back to normal in the land of fire, Konoha was getting ready for a celebration.

Tonight would mark the first year after Konoha's rebuilding and the entire village was determined to make the event with something that would be remembered for a long time.

An amber hue was all that was left of the sun as dusk claimed its turn in the sky. The shadows were growing but the last heat of the sun sill lingered as the fireflies started glowing. Naruto looked down into the street as the first of the lanterns in the long chains were lit. Every lantern on the long strings had the leaf symbol stamped on one side and Suna's on the other. A few villagers were starting to move around the streets as Hinata called to Naruto from inside.

"Naruto, you better get changed now or we'll be late."

Naruto levered himself away from the railing and entered their shared bedroom. He unceremoniously dumped his clothes on his side of the double bed before changing into his black and orange kimono that had been chosen by Hinata. He finished tying the sash then turned to his bedside table. Opening the drawer he removed a small case no larger than his hand. He quickly hid the case in his kimono as he heard Hinata entering the room. Hinata was wearing a lilac Kimono with a cream flower pattern along the hem tied with purple sash. Her long hair was tied up with an ornate clasp that Naruto guessed was Himeka's.

"Beautiful," Naruto whispered as he kissed her cheek.

Hinata flushed and Naruto smiled.

"I still say you're cute when you're embarrassed," he grinned as he offered Hinata his arm.

Hinata took Naruto's arm and they proceeded downstairs. The sound of voices met their ears as Naruto and Hinata passed the guest rooms.

"Now go easy on the sake Gaara," Kankuro warned, "we don't want a drunk Kazekage."

"Take your own advice Kankuro," Temari scolded.

"You five ready?" Naruto asked as he leaned around the door.

Gaara was in his full Kazekage robes, much to his dislike, while Temari was dressed in a cream kimono and Kankuro a black one. Naruto glanced at Sasuke, noting his midnight blue Kimono which sported the Uchiha crest on the shoulders while Sakura's was a pale pink that matched her hair.

"Ready when you are," Gaara replied, picking up his wide hat.

Naruto led the group out of the door, pausing to lock the door after all were outside. Hinata resumed her position on Naruto's arm as the procession moved off. Naruto and Hinata led them, with Gaara, Kankuro and Temari behind him, then Sakura and Sasuke bringing up the rear as they walked towards the Hokage mansion.