Chapter 4 The Opacity of the mind

When I woke standing in a white misty room, I don't think I can be blamed for believing myself dead.

"Well, that was an underwhelming life." I spoke up my voice echoing from every side.

"Oh you aren't yet dead child."

The mist condensed into a woman dressed in a white shawl. Her eyes were white and misty devoid of irises. I noticed a few details similar to the statue, her defined cheekbones her larger forehead.

"Mnemosyne?" I inquired.

She smiled, not a reassuring sight. Her lack of irises made looking at her a bit jarring.

"Yes, you are correct child. I see you and your godfather have been trying to summon me."

"Took you long enough." I scoffed blinking a bit as I realized who she meant as my godfather.

The Titan raised an eyebrow, but didn't question my rudeness. She walked around me with what I think was a thoughtful gaze. Again empty eyes, hard to tell.

"Yes, you are quite repressed, in every sense of the word." She mused.

"What's that supposed to mean, can you help me regain my memories or not?"

"Do you want them to come back?"

I was taken aback. I went on to argue, but she raised one finger and recited an address.

My previous address.

That shut me up pretty quick.

Mnemosyne looked saddened. "Child believe me I wish I could hand you the answers I have on a silver platter, but to remember something so old and so profound. You cannot do it halfway. If you cannot face those memories then how will you face your past? What would be the point of remembering it?"

"I-" I trailed off unsure how to answer that. I pulled at my hair a bit in frustration. "Why do I have to hold onto what hurts me the most?" I asked in a small voice releasing my hair.

She smiled at me sadly "you don't have to hold onto it dear, but you have to accept it at some point. Only then will your mind become clear again."

"I'm scared." I admitted "what if, what if all remembering does is hurt me further?"

The Titan looked heartbroken.

"It matters little how your story began, what matters is how you will live it. Goodbye James Damasen Jackson, may life have some mercy in store for you."

Before I could ask more a mighty gust of wind slammed into me. I was sent flying and fell for what seemed like an eternity before my eyes snapped open.

It felt like a dream, the one where you fell from the sky. I remember at catholic school, a nun once told me I dreamed of falling so much because I was probably a bad Angel kicked out of heaven. For being monstruous.

But as I looked around it's clear the dream was just starting. no wait dreams usually have a good side I meant absolute nightmare.

I was in what seemed to be a repurposed container into a drivable prison. If the incessant shaking was anything to go by.

My hands were tied to the ceilings, my ankles to the floor with silver chains. I felt my whole body shiver as the cold metal bit into my skin.

There were several Amazons near the entry of the container playing card at a table. I shook my head feeling dizzy.

"Well well well, your tougher than the rest." A girl a bit older than me said as she stepped in front of me. She was athletic naturally bronze skinned with purple eyes. There was something off about her I could just feel it. "This stuff is meant for horses."