Chapter 7 beyond the hill

It was like stepping into another world. The crackle of flames and police sirens gone like they never existed.

I stood there for a bit the world around me looking jarringly bright and peaceful. Grover was halfway up the hill before he turned back to me. He smiled encouragingly and silently beckoned me forward.

I walked up the hill my vision growing blurry. I was suddenly small, the tall grass tickling my knees as I walked up the same hill. I looked up from the hand I was holding partially blinded by the sun. I could only see a gentle smile.

I gasped now at the top of the hill. I shared a look with the golden dragon wrapped around the pine tree. We both blinked at each other. I released my hold on the tree and looked at the valley.

"I've been here before." I muttered.

Grover looked at me surprised. "You did, when you were about three years old. You remember that?"

"Just a smile." I repeated my voice small. Grover grabbed my shoulder "that's Peleus, don't worry he's like a big grumpy dog. Come on Chiron will be beyond happy to see you."

"The Chiron, the centaur trainer of heroes?"

"The very same." Smiled the Satyr gently escorting me to the big house.

We entered the house into a living room. My eyes were first drawn to the sentient cheetah head mounted on the wall.

"Ah a new student." Came a deep pleasant voice. I turned to the source of the voice looking up into the wise eyes of Chiron. They widened, the tray of tea he was holding clattered to the ground.

"James." He breathed "James Damasen Jackson." He inquired in disbelief.

I slowly nodded, the old teacher looked like he had seen a ghost.

"You don't look well my boy have a seat." The centaur ushered me to a couch where I obediently sat down. Not in the mood to argue. I almost chuckled at his brutal honesty.

"How." Was all he asked.

"I barely remember anything." I replied shrugging. "I didn't even have the time to process any of this mess."

"Well you are safe here now." Assured the wise old Centaur.

"Am I? Your allies with the people who want me dead are you not."

"The Romans dont want you dead James." Jumped in Grover. "It's a lot more complicated than that."

"Is it?" I challenged.

"Do not be so eager to judge child." Calmly replied Chiron. It's probably the first and last time I've ever been called a child in a non condescending way.

"Rome is a people of duty and rules. They must obey wether they agree or not. Mars has ordered your capture. Thankfully most are willing to turn a blind eye, but many are eager for glory. A bit too eager."

"So what now?" I asked confused.

"Now you rest, by the looks of it you encountered the Amazons." He added sending a quick glance at my stolen armor pieces.

"I'm not returning it." I replied bluntly.

Chiron smiled a bit "I wouldn't expect you too. I will have the cleaning harpies put some order in Cabin three. The Athena cabin might be a bit too cramped for you."

"It's my dad's cabin?"

"Your grandfather's." Clarified Chiron "but you have as much right as him to live in it."

I nodded wringing my hands together, noticing a long scar going diagonally down both my palms. Yet another pair of scars that weren't there before. "So my parents were trained here?"