10| Hell Hath No Fury

29th September, 1998

Hermione was running as fast as her feet allowed her to. The wind whipped around her and her lungs screamed their protest but Hermione didn't slow down.

Her clothes stuck in overgrown branches and she regretted her choice of wearing a crocheted top. But then again, this plan hadn't been anything but a last-minute desperate need to act.

Red sparks whizzed over her head and Hermione cursed into the air. She pointed her wand over her shoulder and blindly attacked.

She wasn't sure how long they could continue this pursuit. Hermione sharply swerved to the right, almost tripping on the scattered leaves and broken branches. She heard the sound of a body slamming to the ground and she knew it was now and never.

She saw her attackers, the heavy one was still standing, looking around frantically while the smaller one had fallen down.

Hermione worked quickly, stupefying the fallen one and disarming the other.

Even without his wand, the man ran towards her, teeth bared and shoulders hunched. Hermione swiped her wand and gold ropes erupted from its end, binding the drunk.

He thrashed against the restraints, eyes gleaming maliciously. Hermione walked towards him and hit him square in the face with her boots. Her attack was followed by a disgusting crunch of bones breaking.

Hermione's face twisted in a satisfied grin and she almost turned around on her spot, ready to disapparate from this disastrous failure of an endeavor but her attacker's gruff voice stopped her.

"Mudblood whore," He spat, slurring over his words.

Hermione's blood ran cold and she stopped the shiver of disgust from running down her spine.

"What did you say?" Hermione asked warningly, her wand pointed over his chest.

The man stared back defiantly.

"I called you what you are," he answered. He opened his mouth to say something else but Hermione didn't allow him to.

"Crucio," she yelled.

Hermione noticed the briefest flash of horror on his face before the spell hit. His scream filled the air as he writhed and thrashed from the impact of her rage.

Hermione looked down at the body with a cold numbness that bled from her mind all the way to her fingertips. Her mind registered the pain she was inflicted but it didn't order her to stop. Hermione felt detached from her body as if experiencing everything through a blurry haze.

The screams slowed down until the guy went silent. Hermione blinked, the blood finally rushing to her brain. The wand clattered from her grip and her hand flew towards her mouth, eyes wide as she took in the damage.

The man was barely breathing. His head had split open and blood gushed from it. He had scratches on his arm and face as he had tried to claw through the clutches of the curse.