12| The Demon Within

2nd October, 1998

2nd October, 1998

Hermione's sleep-muddled brain dimly registered the streak of light that broke into her otherwise dark room. The door closed slowly and soundlessly, blocking out the light and plunging it in darkness once again.

She heard footsteps approaching her and sat upright, her hand flying towards her wand, a reflex reaction by now.

"It's me, Hermione," Ginny's soft voice cut across the silence and Hermione inhaled sharply.

"Shit, Ginny. I could have attacked you," Hermione breathed, lowering her wand as she pulled the chain of her bedside lamp, illuminating the room in an orangish glow.

Ginny's hair was sleep-ruffled and her eyes were bloodshot, dried tear streaks on her cheeks.

Hermione opened her arms and Ginny gave a broken sob before jumping on the bed and crawling towards her. Hermione wrapped her arms around her friend, cocooning her in as if wanting to protect her from the outside world by this naive action.

Hermione pulled down the sleeve of her bandaged arm, thankful that Ginny hadn't noticed it.

"What happened?" she asked, smoothing down her hair.

"Stu... stupid nightmare," Ginny said in between sobs.

"It's okay, love. You're safe. Your family and Harry are safe back at the Burrow," Hermione whispered against her hair, rubbing soothing circles against her back.

She allowed Ginny to cry her heart out, stroking her hair and whispering soothing words to her.

She finally pulled back, looking at Hermione with watery eyes.

"I'm so scared, 'mione," she sniffled, wiping her eyes with the back of her sleeve.

"I know. I'm scared too," Hermione admitted.

"The war won't ever leave us alone, will it?" she questioned and Hermione felt a familiar dread wash over her, McGonagall's words repeating in her head.

"It'll get better with time, Gin," she whispered. Ginny still looked miserable but nodded.

"I wrote them a letter but of course, I won't be getting any reply at this hour."

"We could send them a patronus," Hermione offered but Ginny shook her head.

"I don't want to disturb them. I'm sorry for disturbing you but I didn't know what to do."

"Shut up, Gin" Hermione smiled, pretending to sound reprimanding. "You can always come to me. You know that, right?"

Ginny nodded, pulling Hermione in another hug.

"Now, do you want some dreamless sleep or maybe some sleeping draught?" Hermione asked.

"A little bit of both?"