199*

199*

Dear Ma,

I never really know you personally. I just keep on hearing from relatives and neighbors that I, too, have a mother somewhere.

I am used to being alone even from my young age. My only consolation is that my great grandmother never let me feel alone. She is the one who supported me during the days you are not with me.

But then, as I was playing in front of the neighbor's yard, a beautiful woman dressed in casual white shirt and plain jeans passed by.

"ECCA, that's your mother!" - a neighbor exclaimed at me upon realizing who the woman is.

I hurriedly went home and that will be the first time I see you in person.

"My mother is so beautiful." That is what I think upon seeing your face. You immediately hug me and showered me with gifts. Candies, lollipops, chocolates, and a golden necklace with a pendant that spells my name.

This is my first memory of you.

Some days passed by, and you took me with you to an unfamiliar place. There, you introduced me to my new father. It was very warm. My new father loves me wholeheartedly and it is so evident and obvious even in my young mind.

I stayed with you and my new father and spent my kindergarten there. I was happy. You are very protective, and I know that you also love me very much. We shared a lot of love and precious memories during that one year.

But unfortunately, our happy days has to come to an end without me really knowing what the reason is for me to go back to my great grandmother's place without you..

Yours,

ECCA