i. right where you left me

Lea loved Saturdays more than anything. Well, not more than anything. She loved Saturdays, and then... there was Regine.

Her love for Regine was unfathomable, so out of this world there were no words to describe just how much.

"Babe, ano order mo?" Lea asked enthusiastically. But Regine was out of it, mind flying somewhere out of this world.

"Why'd I even ask? It's always beef tapa with sunny side up egg na mapula pula," Lea snickered, stacking the menus on top of each other.

"Melissa," Lea called for the server's attention. "'Yung usual pa rin for me and Reg. Malasado 'yung sunny side up, please!" The sunny disposition Lea had has left Regine quieter; the usual giddy Regine has been reduced to a lacklustre force.

"Is everything ok, babe?" Lea looked and felt quizzical. Regine had a look in her eyes that indicated that nothing was okay, that the world seemed to have ended, and that there was nothing they could've done but sit in the booth across from each other and wait for the meteor to strike the Earth.

Regine had that look, but Lea chose to be oblivious.

"Did you have anything different in mind ba for LeGine Saturdays? Or your migraine's acting up and you want to head home na lang?" Lea asked persistently, but Regine wasn't one to budge.

"I think we should..." Regine whispered.
"I think we should break up."

***

"Babes!" Lea called. "Yes, Ma?" her child replied.

"When I start forgetting and you want to know how sharp my memory is, ask me what I love more than Saturdays." Lea cackled. And although it was comical on her end, her child didn't find it amusing at all.

"Stop saying that! You'll never forget, Ma. You'll always, always remember..." Lea took her child's hand to her heart. "You know I always will, Babes. Now, ask me what I love more than Saturdays... dali... ask me!"

"Tsk!" Lea's child was adamant, but given how persistent their mother was, there was no way but to follow through.

"Ok, Mum. What do you love more than Saturdays?" Her child asked stubbornly.

"Love, I kind of need you to mention my name because what if I forgot who I was?" Lea tapped her temples jokingly.

"Mum, what does Lea love more than Saturdays?" Lea smiled as the question pierced through her heart.

"My Babes and my Regine!"

***

09953428769

Hello po. I'm Lea's only child. Lea Carmen. I've been trying to look for you for months po because Mum left something for you in her last will and testament. Please let give me a call when you can.

Regina E.

Hi! This is Regina Encarnacion. I didn't... I didn't know Lea had a child. But... yes. Are you free now?

09953428769

I can't do calls po right now, but I can meet up with you in Café Breton. My meeting's about to end just by the corner and it's the nearest place to swing by. That is... if you are only available po.