20 ━ tag team

━

CHAPTER TWENTY
Tag Team

          HARLEY SNAPPED INTO action. She straightened to her knees, placing one hand on Cora's chin, pulling her jaw down to check her airway. Clear. She pinched Cora's nose with her other hand and tilted her head. She bent down, blowing air into Cora, praying it was enough.

"Come on, Cora!" Harley pleaded. She did it again. Nothing. "Cora!" Again. "Breathe, Cora!" And again. Still nothing. "Breathe!"

Derek would never forgive her if Cora died in her care. She would never forgive herself.

She slammed her fist down onto Cora's chest. "Cora!"

Cora gasped, her head jerking upward as she coughed. Her eyes remained closed but she was still breathing. For now, that was good enough.

Harley sighed, sinking down on the bench next to Stiles. She pushed her hair out of her face and blew air out her mouth.

"You're amazing," Stiles exasperated. "Just in case I haven't told you yet. Sorry, I meant to a while ago."

Harley beamed. "Thanks, Quippy."

"How's your leg?" Stiles asked, his hand brushing against the gauze they sloppily wrapped around it.

The girl pulled it aside and looked down to see it healing through tights. "It's okay. It just feels like a small cut." She leaned her head back. "I know you're mad."

Stiles nodded, rubbing his hands together. "You should have told us about Edith and the Alphas. After Matt, you promised you'd tell us if someone was going to kill you," He then recoiled his head back. "Jesus, I can't believe that sentence is actually normal to me now."

Harley looked down at her lap. She couldn't look him in the eyes right now. "I know," she murmured. "I'm sorry. I thought I could handle them before it got too out of control and Dax said he was taking care of Edith. I was going to tell you, I swear. And then everything happened with my dad, then Michael. And I guess it just slipped from my mind."

"Fair enough," Stiles said as he leaned back next to her. A comfortable silence settled over them. He turned his head towards her, a playful smile on his face. "Also thanks for taking a knife in the leg for me. It was very heroic."

Harley faced him as she chuckled. "You're welcome. It hurt, by the way."

Stiles' eyebrows shot up challengingly. "Oh, yeah? Really? Who would've thought getting stabbed would hurt?"

"Well, me. I've been stabbed enough times."

"That is true."

Harley laughed and Stiles joined in, grinning widely at the absurdity of it all. Over the course of the last couple of months, they had been chasing human sacrifices, fighting werewolves with big red eyes and talking to ghosts.