Chapter 1

The darkness of the night was illuminated by the building lights, much like the stars in the sky. Even though it was around 11:30 pm, the roads were as busy as ever. In the midst of these bustling streets, I found myself running as fast as I could. My heart raced, and my mind was clouded by her thoughts. I had never felt so blank before; I couldn't think about anything else. All I knew was that I wanted to see her.

"Oh!" I screamed as I bumped into a stranger and fell to the ground. He shouted, "Watch out, man!!" I managed to stand up, realizing I was a little wounded with a scratch that was making me bleed. But I didn't have time to worry about that. I started running again.

My name is Austin. I'm a third-year political science student at a prestigious university, the son of a wealthy family, and quite famous at my university for my good looks. People often commented on my blue eyes, silky brown hair, fair complexion, and well-maintained body. However, they also tended to dislike my attitude. I've always been carefree, accustomed to getting what I want. I'll admit I can be rude or a bit bossy; everything changed when I met her.

Speaking of her, I finally reached the dormitory after running for what felt like miles. I couldn't control my breathing as I pushed the door wide open and entered the lobby. I blurted out, "I want to meet Zara." Zara was the one who had changed my life, who had changed me.

Three months ago...

"Zara," I read her name from her ID, studying her face. She had an innocent look, accentuated by the big glasses that gave her a nerdy appearance. Her eyes were wide, carrying a hint of fear. It was understandable; she was standing in front of a group of third-year seniors on her first day at the university. Unfortunately for her, she had caught our attention. Dan, Rey, Lucy, Fin, and I were asking her questions, though some might label it as ragging.

Rey asked, "Which department?"

"Arts," she replied in a low voice.

"What?"

"Arts department," she repeated, her voice quivering.

Rey nodded, and Lucy chimed in, "Gosh, look at her dress. It's so outdated," pointing to her loosely fitting clothes in unconventional colors. Laughter erupted from the group, aimed at her expense. In embarrassment, she tugged on the strap of her bag.

"Give me my ID. I'll be late for the orientation," Zara pleaded, her voice trembling.

Rey teased, "Oh, Austin, give her the ID. Otherwise, our nerdy freshman here will be punished for being late on her first day." Laughter followed.

I stepped forward, getting closer to her. "Then why don't you take it yourself?" I raised my hand as if to give it to her. She attempted to grab it once, and the next time she jumped. I moved my hand away, causing her to fall to the floor with a thud. I hadn't expected her to fall, but I didn't offer her a hand to help. That was just who I was. Everyone around us laughed. I tossed her ID toward her and walked away with the group, headed to class. I didn't know if she had made it to the orientation or if she was hurt. Frankly, I didn't care. That was the day Zara entered my life. At the time, I couldn't have known the profound impact that nerdy girl would have on me. It just makes me laugh at myself.