12

After dinner, everyone decided to head back out on the boat to watch the fireworks that were being set off in the middle of the lake for the holiday. They did it every year and it was quite the display.

I stayed seated on the couch with Molly, cuddled up with her on my lap. I watched Danielle and Kevin head out, followed by their parents.

Joe was walking along with my parents, when he stopped and looks at me curiously when he noticed me on the couch, "Are you coming or what?" He asked.

I shook my head, "Molly is petrified of loud noises so I'm going to stay back with her."

"Oh." Joe says and I could tell he was clearly disappointed.

My mom smirked at me from behind him as she followed my dad outside. I raised an eyebrow at the back of her head.

"Have fun!" I called after them. Joe waved before following them outside.

I checked my phone and sent a text to Nick, just to ask what he was up to.

A minute hadn't even gone by before Joe was suddenly walking back inside. I look behind him and see the boat take off.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I didn't want to leave my girl." He said.

"What?" I asked in surprise, my stomach doing a somersault as his words.

But I quickly noticed the smirk on his face as he said, "Yeah, my girl." Before taking a seat next to Molly on the other end of the couch and wrapping an arm around her.

I rolled my eyes, "You're something."

"What?" He questioned innocently as my heart rate finally began to go back to a normal speed. I was such an idiot to think he meant me.

I stood up off of the couch, "Well, if you are going to be here with her, I'm going to go take a shower." I said.

"Have fun." He called after me as I ran upstairs to get a change of clothes.

I checked my phone when I got into the bathroom. I sighed when I noticed I had nothing from Nick. I bit the inside of my cheek and thought for a moment before pressing the call button beside his name.

"Hello?" He answered after the third ring.

"Hey!" I said as I begin to undress outside of the shower door.

"Hey Trin, what's up?" He asked.

"Just missing you." I said as I began kicking off my wet bathing suit bottoms.

I could hear music playing in the background. It slowly got quieter as Nick made his way to a different room so he could hear me, "Are you at the lake house?" He asked.

"Yes, just finished up dinner and everyone went out on the boat to watch fireworks."

"Oh. Why didn't you go?"

"I have Molly with me." I told him.

"Oh right, that wouldn't be fun for her."

Suddenly, I heard a female voice on the other end of the line, "where did you go Nick?" She asked.

"Who's that?" I questioned casually.

"That's Caroline, Ben's sister."

Ben went to college with Nick, and they just so  happen dto be going to the same law school as well. I was happy that Nick had someone he knew going with him though.

"Oh. You guys all hanging out?" I asked.

"Yes, some guy Ben met is throwing a party." I heard another loud noise, and a couple more people trying to get his attention.