28

Nick and I walked back to the cabin in silence. I had hoped he calmed down a bit before we got there, but as soon as we walked through the door, he marched right up to Joe, who was standing in the middle of the kitchen minding his own business.

"Where have you guys" Joe started, but he didn't have a chance to finish before Nick punch him right in the jaw.

"Nick!" I shouted.

Joe grabbed his chin, but hardly even looked surprised at what happened. Nick looked at me before looking back at Joe, "that's for having sex with Trin the same night we broke up!"

Joe looked over Nick's shoulder at me, his eyes wide, "You told him that? Why would you do that?"

I cringed, "I didn't want to. But he kissed me."

His jaw clenched and he glared at Nick, "you did what?"

Nick smirked, "Yeah. I did. And she kissed me back."

Joe scoffed, "I doubt it."

Nick crossed his arms, "Oh I don't." That sent Joe over the edge, and he lunged at his brother. The two of them began to fight, and I panicked. There was nobody here strong enough to break them up.

"Stop!" I ran over to them, and tried to pull Nick away, but his elbow swung at my face, hitting me in the nose. I fell backwards, my head just barely missing the corner of the wooden coffee table.

I stayed seated, holding my nose when the two of them stopped. Nick eyes were wide with panicked as he scrambled over to me, "oh my god Trin I'm so sorry."

"Stop." I swatted his hand away when he tried to reach out for me. He looked crushed, but I didn't care. I was done with them.

"Trin." Joe said lowly as I got up.

The two of them stood side by side, their faces filled with worry for me. Tears filled my eyes from the pain from my nose and my heart.

"Just leave me alone. Both of you." I said before running upstairs to the loft. I plopped down onto the chair and covered my face as I cried. It was all too much. The fighting, the hatred, the confusion. I just wanted it all to be over.

A few minutes went by before I heard the footsteps on the stairs. They stopped halfway, "can I come up?" Nick asked.

"Yeah." I shrugged even though you couldn't me see me.

The guilt on his face was evident as he came into view. I sat up straighter in my chair and wiped away the dampness from my cheeks.

He stood a far distance away, and brought his hands to his sides, "I'm so sorry Trin. I didn't mean to hurt you."

I sighed, "I know Nick."

He shook his head and took a seat on the other chair before running a hand through his hair, "this whole thing. It's... just got me so fucked up Trin. I'm not usually like this, you know that."

"I do know that." I frowned.

"I talked with Joe. As soon as break is over, I'm going back to California."

I shook my head, "No Nick. I'm not letting you leave town because of me."

"Come on Trin." He had a pained expression on his face, "you know how this has to end."

"But why? Why can't we all just work something out?" I felt the tears form in my eyes.

"Because. I can't watch you be with Joe right now. I accept that you two want to be together, but you can't expect me to like it, to be around it."

He was right, and it was selfish of me to expect that of him. But I truly hated being the reason he felt like he couldn't stay here.

I looked down at my lap. I bit down on my cheek, and willed the tears away. Nick wasn't going to be in my life anymore, and if I wanted to be with Joe I had to accept it. This triangle between us had to end.

"Maybe... with time, we can be friends again."

"I'm really sorry Nick." I finally brought my eyes to his. He smiled weakly at me, and I knew he didn't believe how sorry I was.

"Me too." He said.

My brain told my feet to move. To get up and hug him. But I couldn't. He would probably have pushed me away if I did.

Neither one of us spoke again. He nodded, and made his way back downstairs. I let out a long, shaky breath and cupped my face in my hands. If I could, I'd leave town, I'd let them both live their lives without me. But I couldn't walk out on Joe. I just couldn't.

Authors note:
Here's a short chapter to let you know I'm still here. Sorry for the lack of updates. Going through a lot in my personal life and I haven't had the time and or motivation to write. But I'm trying!