29

I stayed up in the loft for a while. I could hear Nick and Joe's muffled voices coming from the kitchen. It was a relief to hear them talking instead of fighting each other.

But I couldn't bring myself to go down there and look Nick in the face after our conversation. He made it clear what the plan was, and as much as it hurt, I knew he was right.

I needed to talk to Joe, though. We haven't really talked things out, and I wasn't sure where I stood with him. He questioned if I would have accepted Nick's proposal if it had came sooner. And even though I told him no, I wasn't sure he believed me.

It was as if no matter what I said, no matter what I did, Joe didn't trust my loyalty to him, and I wasn't sure how to fix that. If we were to move forward and have a relationship, he had to trust me.

I felt myself dozing off when Joe came up the stairs. My eyes locked on his as he came in and stood in front of me.

"Hi." I said.

"Hi." I bite the inside of my cheek. Was he going to break up with me? Could you break up with someone who you never actually officially called your girlfriend?

"Nick told me about the conversation the two of you had." He rubbed the back of his neck, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, "I'll be fine."

"Listen, Trin. I know I've fucked up. I should have told you about the ring. But you have to understand where I was coming from. I was just scared."

"I know Joe. You should have never been in that position in the first place. I haven't been fair to you, or Nick. But I'm telling you... I only want you."

His eyes stayed on me for a long moment. I could feel my hands begin to tremble at my sides. I needed him to tell me he believed me. It was killing me.

Instead of speaking, he took a step forward and closed the space between us, bringing his lips to mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer to me as we kissed.

He pulled away for a moment to look me in the eye, "I love you Trin. I trust you." And that's all I needed to hear. The heavy weight was lifted off my shoulders, and I finally felt like I could breathe.

"I love you too Joe. So much."

"I promise to be straightforward with you from now on. No more secrets, no more games. I just want to be with you." Joe brushed his thumb across my cheek, "you're the only girl I want, the only one I'll ever want."

I ran my hand through his soft curls as I let his words soak in. We smiled at each other before kissing again.

The snow had stopped by the morning. I could hear plow trucks on the main road as I woke up. Joe and I slept up in the loft, while Nick slept downstairs on the couch.

I tiptoed down into the kitchen. I peaked into the living room, where Nick was still asleep. I decided to make them both breakfast.

As I cooked the eggs, I couldn't help but think this may be the last time I see Nick for a long time. Would he still come visit for holidays, or would he avoid it because of Joe and I? I still hated the idea of him leaving because of me.

The three of us ate and had a casual conversation. I tried my hardest to act natural, but there was still a tension in the air between us.

As soon as we were done with breakfast, Nick got bundled up to head to his car to leave. Joe said goodbye to him first. They did an awkward, half hug. I guess it was better than punching each other.

When it was my turn to say goodbye, Joe went outside to give us a minute.

Nick shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans and stood before me. I watched him as he avoided all eye contact with me as he began to speak, "Well, I guess I'll see you later, then."

I let out a sigh, "Nick. I'm really sorry."

"We don't have to do this again, Trin."

I shook my head, "I just need you to know, because I am. I don't regret our time spent together. I know you wish you hadn't met me, but I'll always cherish all of our memories together. From when we first met, until now."

He rubbed the back of his neck before finally looking at me, "I didn't mean it when I said that Trin. I was just angry, and being stupid. I'll always care about you, I hope you know that."

I bit the inside of my cheek and nodded. I didn't want him to see me cry, but it was too hard to hold them in. A tear streamed down my face. Before I could wipe it away myself, Nick brought his hand up and did it for me. I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath.

"Just be happy Trin, alright? Even if it's not with me. I want nothing but happiness for you. You are the most incredible woman I've ever known, and you deserve the best. But right now I just need to go, okay?"

"O-okay." I stuttered. I wanted to reach out and hug him, but he smiled softly at me before turning around and heading for the door.

I watched as Nick walked out. Without taking another look he walked away.

Out the door.

And out of my life.