Together Breakfast

Steven groaned as his head hit the floor of the temple. "Could've thrown me a bit gentler, Room," He griped, sitting up and wincing at the soreness of the back of his head. No sooner had he gotten his bearings enough to stand, the room ejected another body directly on top of him, catching him so off guard his skin flashed pink for a second.

"Oh my stars!" Connie exclaimed through coughing and wheezing.

Before she could stand, Steven pulled her up for a crushing hug and she did her best to hug him back despite the awkward angle and her feet dangling above the floor. He smelled like home and after the experience she'd just had, she felt herself melting into his arms.

"Oh Shards, I'm so so sorry Connie I don't know how that happened are you okay?" He poked and prodded her to see if she was hurt then pulled her in for a gentler embrace.

"Steven, it's okay," She consoled him firmly. "I'm just glad you're okay."

"Stars and Diamonds, that's embarrassing..." He muttered to himself.

Connie cupped his face in her hands, the blush warming them and making her chortle a bit. She truly wasn't upset, she had come to expect the unexpected with Steven. This certainly wasn't her first rodeo. Steven however seemed to be taking it hard. He looked like guilt was eating away at him. "What happened?"

An almost impossibly fast expression of annoyance crossed his face, but then he slumped. "I-I don't know. I was in there, too. I thought– that's never happened before." He paused and ran a hand through his thick curls and sighed. "It must have trapped us in there when I expressed I didn't want you to leave. I'm so sorry, you two. That was reckless of me. I should know better than to voice things like that in The Room." He stood and reached out his hands to place at her waist.

"Steven, don't beat yourself up about it. I'm not angry with you," She promised, squishing his cheeks. "I promise."

They sat down on the couch, the silence heavy between them for a moment.

"'You two'?" She smiled just a tiny bit.

Steven took a long moment to meet her eyes but nodded firmly. "Of course."

"Steven?"

"Yeah, Ni?"

"What are we going to do?" Forcing herself to look at him, Connie's vision blurred as she began to cry.

Steven sat her on his lap and rubbed her back gently, whispering in her ear to let it out.

So she did. She held him tight and let the fear and frustration and panic out as she sobbed until she felt like she was going to be sick. She was terrified, her life, their lives were changing forever. She hadn't realized how much she'd needed this, and how important it was to her for Steven to be the one with her.

It felt like an hour had passed before she finally felt a little better, holding in all this wasn't good for her and probably not good for the baby either. Steven was still comforting her, combing through her hair and brushing the tears off her face with his thumb.

She turned to press her lips to his cheek and felt a warm tingling sensation course through her body as a salty taste entered her mouth.

"You're crying," She whispered, lifting his chin gently.

He laughed through tears and sniffles, gently pulling her hands away from his face so he could attempt to wipe his tears on his shoulder. "I am." He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, before bringing her hand to his face for a kiss. "Do you still love me, Connie?"

She was so taken aback she almost laughed. "Of course, Steven! Why would that have changed?"

He glanced away, shaking his head and shrugging a little. "I love you too." Steven was silent for a moment, his shallow breathing concerning her for a second before he spoke again. "Here's what we're gonna do: we're gonna lay down and take a nap after I make you some food. Then we have to tell the Crystal Gems. Immediately."