Chapter Six: Watch It

Alex and I were at the outdoor dining area with his parents, waiting for the rest of the party to arrive, so Carolyn's private chef can serve dinner. Alex was holding me close, rubbing my back, as we discussed wedding preparations with Richard and Carolyn.

"I was thinking a winter wedding in New York would be lovely, or maybe a summer wedding at Napa Valley," Carolyn suggested.

"The Richardson's son, Berkeley, got married at Lake Como. That was an impressive wedding," added Richard.

"Well, actually, Athena always wanted a wedding in Greece. We were thinking of doing it in April on our anniversary," Alex insisted.

"Alex and I visited the church my grandparents were married in when we were out there. It is breathtakingly beautiful. We've been discussing having the ceremony there," I added.

Carolyn faced Alex scrunching her nose. "I don't know Alex, a small church in Greece...surely we can do better than that."

I opened my mouth to comment, but I was interrupted by a frantic Virginia running toward us followed by Charlotte.

"Alex! Alex," she screeched.

"What is it, Vivi? What's the matter?" questioned Carolyn.

"My watch! My watch is missing. Alex, I can't find my watch anywhere," she breathed.

Alex turned to her. "What do you mean it's missing?"

"I took it off before I came down to the pool, and when I went to wear it just now it was missing. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it."

"Yeah Alex, I helped her look for it. It's not in her room," added Charlotte.

"Okay, let's calm down. I'm sure we'll find it. Carolyn will have the staff looking for it," reasoned Richard.

"That's a great idea. I'll let the housekeeper know to look for it. Vivi, it'll be alright," soothed Carolyn.

"Yes, let's try to enjoy our dinner. I'm sure you've just misplaced it Vivi. You'll see, it'll show up," added Alex.

Dinner passed with awkward and stilted conversation. Alex used the opportunity to emphasize the perks of having a spring wedding in Greece, and Virginia spent the whole evening moping about her watch.

By the end of dinner, I was ready for the day to end and excused myself from the table. I had just finished preparing for bed in the en-suite bathroom when I walked into the bedroom and found Alex lounging on the bed browsing his phone.

"You didn't have to follow me Alex. It's still early," I said.

"I know, but I'd rather spend my night cuddling in bed with you. Plus, I've been with my family all day." He grabbed me by the waist and pulled me on top of him. I giggled and shrieked as he started to tickle me.

"Alex, stop, I still have to apply my body lotion," I squealed.

"Ugh, party pooper." He leaned over to open the nightstand and paused before reaching inside. "Athena, what is this doing in here?" he asked as he pulled out a watch.

"Oh my god, is that Virginia's watch?"

"Yes Athena, I know it's her watch but what is it doing in here?"

"I don't know Alex, but we should let her know you found it," I insisted.

"Athena, how exactly do you expect me to explain where I found it?"

"What do you mean Alex?" I asked, flabbergasted.

He rubbed his hand on his forehead and groaned. "Athena, why would you take her watch?"

My chest sunk in from the blow of his accusation. "Alex, I didn't take her watch," I whispered.

"I can't believe this. Athena, I'd never expect something like this from you."

"I'm telling you it wasn't me."

"Athena, just stop," he yelled. "Jealousy doesn't suit you. I'd never think you'd stoop this low."

"Watch it," I warned. "What exactly are you implying? Do you honestly think I took her watch out of some misconstrued jealousy?"

He stood off the bed and rubbed his eyes. "I don't have the patience for these childish antics right now."

Then he walked out the door.

Once the door shut behind him, I let the tears fall down my cheeks.

An hour later, I was in the kitchen grabbing a bottle of water when Charlotte walked in. "Hi Charlotte," I greeted.

"Oh Athena, I didn't see you there."

I nodded and sipped my water as she stared at me.

"Why did you do it Athena?" she asked.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"The watch...why did you take it? It was just a meaningless gift. Alex asked me to purchase something for Vivi's graduation. He hates shopping and just handed me his credit card. He didn't even know what I bought."

I stared at her open-mouthed. How could I explain to someone who didn't really know me that her claims were unfounded?

"I mean...yeah it's true that Vivi has a crush on him. But Alex never thought of her that way. You're the one he's crazy about. You had no reason to be jealous," she added.

And without waiting for a reply she turned around and walked out of the kitchen, leaving me hurt and wounded. But Charlotte wasn't the one who broke my heart; it was Alex. Alex should have given me the benefit of the doubt. After all, he was the one who was supposed to know me better than anyone else.

I rushed out of the kitchen and back to the bedroom, grabbed my phone off the nightstand, and dialed Nico.

Two hours later, I was pacing the bedroom staring at my phone with my packed suitcase waiting by the door. Alex still hadn't returned from wherever he went, and I was glad. I did not want him around when I made my escape.

Finally, my phone buzzed with a text.

Nico: I'm outside the residence gate. Should I ask the guard to let me in?

I quickly replied back.

No, I'll come to you.

I grabbed my suitcase and wheeled it behind me as I quietly snuck out of the house. I rushed through the long walk out of the private residence and made it to Nico's car parked outside the gate. Thankfully, no one saw me leave.

Nico helped store my luggage in the car and we started our journey back to LA.

"Thanks for coming to get me Nico. I'm sorry for taking you away from your family in the middle of the night," I apologized.

"Are you kidding me Athena? You're my baby sister. I'll always be there for you. Now, tell me what happened."

And so, as we made the drive home, I told him everything that happened. By the end of the story, Nico was raging mad.

"What the fuck kind of telenovela bullshit is this? I didn't know you had an Estefania in your life," he barked.

"Who?"

"Oh you know, from that Marichuy show you and YiaYia would watch."

"Oh my God," I exclaimed. "You're right Nico, my life is a freaking crazy ass telenovela. Next thing I know, Virginia is gonna stage an accident causing me to go blind and Alex is going to have to become a world-renowned ophthalmologist, in under a year, to operate on me."

"Woah, calm down their drama queen. The only thing Alex is going to be doing is being introduced to my fist."

"Oh no, don't you dare! I'll handle things with Alex."

"I'm not making any promises, Athena," he warned. "Now, where do you want me to drop you off? Are you going back to Alex's place?"

"No," I answered, without missing a beat.