Chapter Nine - Worry

-3rd Person-

Christmas time approached once more and the royal family gathered once more. Liam had spoken with his family and told them that this year would be officially spent with the royals and that they would spend the summer with them. Hopefully once the house at Windsor was built it would be easier for the family to split their time with both sides.

With all the family gathered this Christmas. The celebrations were in full swing, Catherine and Aurora laughed as they played with the youngest members. William, Zara, Peter, Eugenie and Beatrice chatted together, nearly everyone was having a good time. Yet in the corner sat the brooding figure of Liam. His eyes gazed lovingly as well as with concern on his currently happy wife. Liams index finger ran across his lips as he silently observed her.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Liam looked up to come to the sight of Queen Elizabeth, who sat herself down next to her grandson-in-law. "My father use to say that whenever he found mother thinking intently. What is it my dear."

"Your Majesty...." Elizabeth shook her head

"You are family now William, such formalities all the time are not necessary. I positively insist you find a different name for such informal times." Liam smiled sadly and nodded planning to think of one at some point. "Now in a time of jubilation, why does that look grace your face." His eye flicked back to his wife and Elizabeth followed his gaze.

"It's a rarity to see her in such high spirits these days." he voiced "To everyone on the outside looking in she's walks life with such grace and dignity. Happy that she has found someone to love, a relationship built on it and children on the way."

"Is that not the case?" Elizabeth inquired concerned

"For the most part." he turned attention back to the Queen "What they don't see is the dark circles she hides under her make up, the false smile she shows. Aurora's been having nightmares." Elizabeth turned her attention to her granddaughter

"What kinds of nightmares?"

"Nightmares where she talks in her sleep and wakes up screaming." He cleared his throat and blinks away the tears that threaten to spill. "She's terrified that something is going to happen, she shares the same dread as her brothers that the ones they love will end like her mother. It's gotten worse since we found out she's pregnant."

"Does she talk to you about it?"

"Not really. I've tried to open her up on the subject but she closes it down. She questions my decision to join the family, like she forced me into it when she didn't." Liam shook his head. "Last night I know it was about the babies. She'd fallen asleep on the sofa, I was sat there watching tv when she started muttering. It took me a minute to realise who she was talking about."

"First pregnancies are always worrying."

"That's understandable, but how do you assure her they're going to be all right when you can't fully convince I'm going to be all right. I can tell how much she loves them and me but can seem to settle herself on the fact that we'll make sure they're safe."

"Liam!" Aurora giggled "Come join in." he smiled glancing at Elizabeth who nodded, He stood and went over to join the others as Elizabeth watched on concerned. Sadly protection wasn't dependant on titles but how at public and valuable you were. The more public and close you were to the crown, the more you would be of a target. Babies usually stayed with their parents or at home. Their security would eventually be determined more around their school age, going from the safety of their parents or their home.

The burden that Liam unloaded to the Queen made her ponder throughout Christmas and the Christmas day service that they all attended, it lured in the back of her mind until she could think of a way to ease her granddaughters mind. Elizabeth, kept a eye on her granddaughter through her time at Sandringham until Liam and Aurora left shortly after the new year.

--------

Elizabeth called in Charles to speak with him. In such matters these days she valued his opinion before taking a stance on a final matter. Charles entered and kissed his mothers cheek before bowing his head for a brief moment.

"How are you, mama?" Charles wondered as the two sat down for tea.

"Quite well, yes." The two were still at Sandringham while most of the family returned to their normal lives outside. "I must say I am having some worrisome thoughts. About Aurora." tea was served and the helped themselves to little delicacies set out.

"Aurora, what for? She is happily married with twins on the way. Besides she seemed happy enough at Christmas. "

"Well, William informs me that she has been having night terrors. Ones that unsettle her and shift her mood entirely that she has to put a facade on in public." Elizabeth stirs her tea a little and then sets the spoon to one side and takes a sip.

"This is the first I am hearing of such things." Charles scowled that he had not noticed the mood within his daughter. Out of the three of his children in Charles' opinion hers was the easiest to read, that and she would tell him.

"As am I. I only heard about it because poor William was brooding over what to do. According to his account she dreams of terrible things befalling him, her and their unborn children. The past of their mother peering its head in times of vulnerability. The only shame is security cannot be determined to to rank but risk. A understandable action but not one that helps in this time of need."

"Of course. Maybe it would be easier if they weren't so much in the public eye." Charles thought out loud "But that would never happen, Aurora is like the two of us in that respect. A strong determination of duty. Steaming from the childhood feelings of what happened with Diana." Charles knew that despite certain members of the family not helping her mother when she needed it. Her family rectified or at least tried to with William, Harry and Aurora. Shielding them as much as possible. In a complicated round about way, Aurora felt protective of her family, the crown and the institution in a way that could never be simply explained. For her it was a privilege to serve rather than a request or an inheritance.

"Yes, quite." the two lapsed into silence as the had scones. Elizabeth lightly dabbed her mouth of food. "I was thinking about titles."

"Have the expressed a desire in the children having titles? Aurora and William could be like Anne and not express any interest in the option, deciding that they could lead a normal life." Charles voiced

"Nothing about Aurora has ever been normal." Elizabeth chuckled "I have yet to speak to them but it crossed my mind to offer the HRH titles and Princes or Princess'. What would your opinion?" Charles thought about it for a moment and had a sip of his tea.

"They would be eventually entitled to it anyway, it's all up to you, Mamma. Personally I would offer it, and see what they say. Sometimes my daughter can be and enigma." Elizabeth nodded a little