𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗋𝗍𝗒-𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇

𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐄𝐋 𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑    /    𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗋𝗍𝗒-𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇❛ exit stage left while you still can

❛ exit stage left while you still can. ❜

THE POGUES CRASHED in Kiara's car that night as they hid out under an old patio cover. Stella slept with her feet tugged to her chest and her head in JJ's lap, only to awake by the sound of police sirens and an aching back and neck.

"Good new for the residents of the Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area should be functional within 24 hours. And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—" Kiara reaches forward and shuts off the radio.

"Let's game this out." JJ says while his head runs through Stella's hair and her head rests in his lap. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but... who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?"

Stella knew JJ was right. No way in hell any authority of law would choose a bunch or reckless teenagers over Ward Cameron, wealthy and successful business man. It was the way the world worked, which is they they needed to get John B the hell out of there... and fast.

"So, the accuser is a big developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is... pretty much a homeless sixteen-year-old boy at the moment."

"Thanks."

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other options do you have?"

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah's gonna bail me out." Stella looked at her brother through the corner of her eye, not believing it.

"She did witness the whole thing."

"Thank you."

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope had a very good point on this one. Family or boyfriend?

JJ sits up, causing Stella to lift herself from his lap and sit up. JJ blows out the smoke from his cigarette and looks at the siblings. "Not happening, bro. Okay? We gotta get you off the island."

"The ferry. It's the only way."

"Exit stage left while you still can. Before the entire island is on lockdown."

"Guys, just get down." Kiara warns as more police cruisers blaze past them.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B."

"Yeah. You can't stay here, man."

Stella looks at JJ uneasy and looks back at her brother. She couldn't loose him. If he was leaving, she would be going with him.

The Pogues sat in Kiara's car as they watched Pope approach the ferry's ticket stand. He returned not too long later with a piece of paper in hand and no ferret tickets.