8

Shadow felt his blood run cold as hard ice. "What do you mean he is making a new world?"

"The Grim. It is practically a blank slate. He was able to make a few palm trees and a few other things... But the Shards--!" Sonic was panicking, but Shadow placed a hand on Sonic's shoulder. The ebony hedgehog knew exactly what Sonic meant, and what would happen if all the Shards were brought together in another realm. The chances of saving their home were dwindling down. They had to act fast.

"We'll get him away from the Shard pieces. Rather, we'll get the Shards away from him. Right now, however, we need to get this one some place safe, and the No Place Shard as well." Shadow said.

"Where would we hide them?" Sonic counters. "He knows about Maria's--"

"New Yolk. He'd have no real reason to return there. Hide them with the Rebellion, I am sure they'll understand." Shadow says. "I'll hold off the Council for as long as I can. But you have to be fast, Sonic."

Sonic chuckles, Hai nerves seems to be calming down. "You're talking to the fast hedgehog alive."

"If he chooses to be."

"Hey!"

Shadow puts his hands up in defense. "I jest. But seriously, I am trusting you in getting these shard pieces to a safe place."

Sonic nods before looking down. "I thought... I assumed that Nine would..."

Shadow sighed before giving his partner a kiss. "It is okay. I know. Don't beat yourself up over it. We still have a chance to get our home back."

Sonic chuckles a bit. "You hope so...?"

"I know so. Plus, if you can get the Shards all back together, I can take you out on a date~"

Sonic blinked before turning red. "DAMMIT I WANTED TO ASK YOU ON A DATE!"

"Slowpoke~" Shadow flirts.

Sonic groans. "Fine! I... Thanks, for not giving up on me."

"You never gave up on me, Sonic. I owe you that." Shadow says before pressing a kiss to Sonic's lips. "Good luck, hon."

Sonic nods with a grin before taking off to New Yolk, the Grim shard in hand. From a distance, Shadow could hear the engines kick back on from the Council's mother ship. He is quick to catch up with them, preparing the dismantling their engines again but not getting close. Enforcer bots were on the landing deck and one of them had the Eggman insignia hovering above it.

Take out a few, kill an engine and wait. Shadow thinks before setting is plan into motion.

It wasn't long till the alien felt a sharp jab him in his back, it felt like a knife. It was held there as Nine whispers something in the hedgehog's ear: "You caught on quick. Unfortunately, I can't have you or Sonic interfering with my plans. Now can I?"

"You... Bastard!" Shadow grunts, he could only turn his head to snap at the fox.

Nine growls, pushing his tail into Shadow's abdomen, Shadow gasped aloud as the fox practically carried Shadow into the Ghost ShatterSpace, back at the cavern where the Shards were to meet. It was only till then did Nine release Shadow of his blade.

Shadow coughed, a hand holding the wound. Normally, he'd heal in a few seconds. This, however, felt wrong. He felt weak, the wound kept pulsating. "Poison..."

"Easiest way to slow down two speedster. Like it? Developed it shortly after that sub exploded. Found a rare plant in the waters below, like melatonin but far deadlier. Now tell me: where is the Grim Shard?" Nine demands.