Ch21: The Moonlit Mouflon

Kazuki's determination to secure a mouflon for sustenance led him to innovate his approach. As the days turned into weeks and the meadows remained stubbornly silent, he decided to manipulate the environment itself. With a strategic plan in mind, he disturbed the snow covering the meadow, revealing the hidden grass beneath. The hope was that this disruption would entice the mouflon to the area, increasing his chances of a successful hunt.

On a cold and moonlit morning, Kazuki woke before dawn, his determination unwavering. He made his way to the meadow and climbed his chosen tree, settling into his perch. The quiet hours stretched before him, and his thoughts drifted between his growing hunger, the dwindling food supplies, and the anticipation of a successful hunt.

As he observed the meadow, thoughts of relocating crossed his mind. The area he had been staking out had yielded no results for two weeks, and he pondered whether it was time to seek a new vantage point. His practicality told him that resources were finite, and he needed to make the most of his time and energy.

Despite the challenges, Kazuki's spirit remained strong. He knew that persistence often led to success, and his mind raced with strategies to maximize his efforts. The food supplies were diminishing, and he found himself rationing more carefully, saving the MRE rations for emergencies. The pull of survival was a constant companion, urging him to achieve his goal.

As the moon's glow illuminated the meadow, a majestic figure emerged from the trees. A creature of pure white, its large curved horns framed its head in a regal manner. Kazuki's heart quickened as he realized that his patient waiting might finally pay off. The mouflon moved with a grace that spoke of the wild, its steps deliberate and cautious as it navigated the terrain.

Kazuki's breath caught as he watched the scene unfold below him. The silver-white coat of the mouflon shimmered in the moonlight, an ethereal sight that captured his attention completely. The creature's movements were mesmerizing, a dance of survival and instinct. It was as if the meadow itself held its breath in the presence of this majestic being.

The mouflon's careful steps brought it closer and closer to the open expanse of the meadow. Kazuki's heart raced as he realized that the moment he had been waiting for was at hand. His fingers tightened around his bow.

Kazuki's persistence in hunting the elusive mouflon had led him to a crucial moment. As he perched in the tree, the moon's gentle light illuminated the meadow before him. His heart raced with a mix of anticipation and determination, the culmination of his efforts hanging in the balance.

The meadow held an air of quiet anticipation, a stillness that belied the hidden currents of life coursing through it. Kazuki's gaze focused on a particular spot where the terrain was open, a patch of exposed grass that the mouflon seemed to be drawn to. He knew that his opportunity would come when the creature's broad side was exposed as it made its way toward that patch.

Kazuki's racing thoughts began to still as he prepared to take his shot. With deliberate care, he aimed his bow, his fingers steady as he drew back the bowstring. His breathing was measured, his heartbeat a steady rhythm that echoed the pulse of the wilderness around him. His eyes locked onto the mouflon's form, seeking the perfect moment to release his arrow.

In the quiet of the night, the twang of the bowstring cut through the air as Kazuki's arrow found its mark. His aim had been true, and the arrow struck the mouflon's side. However, the outcome was not as clean as he had hoped. The creature cried out in pain, its body faltering as the arrow hit its belly instead of the intended target. The mouflon stumbled, falling to its side with a mixture of shock and distress.

Kazuki's heart sank as he realized the situation had taken an unexpected turn. He quickly notched another arrow and let it fly, but this shot, too, missed its mark, striking the creature's rear end. The mouflon's reaction was swift and instinctual. With a burst of energy fueled by adrenaline, it leaped to its feet and fled, driven by a mixture of pain and fear.