- Break Away -

GREGORY KNEW HIS HANDS WERE TREMBLING but he didn't know how to steady them. "Are you... Sure about this?"

   Christophe didn't say anything but nodded encouragingly. He watched Gregory's grip on the hand-made cross tighten. He needed to be more free, he knew that, but... Was he ready?

    He exhaled tenderly and snapped the cross in half, wincing as he did so. He felt ashamed and disgusting.

    Christophe seemed pleased. "Well?"

  Gregory looked at him miserably. "I'm... A disappointment."

   A huff came out of Christophe. "I hate religion," he said. "This is what it does to you. You devote your life to one thing and the rest of it falls around you."

   Christophe sat next to him and put an arm around him. "You're more free than you think. You've just been shepherded, manipulated, lied to... You have your wings, Gregory, fly with them."

   But Gregory, currently numb, just laid his head on his companion's shoulder and sniffled. "They... Don't have to know, but if they do... Oh, Christophe, you'd be the only one who likes me still."

   "Well if your beliefs are the only thing they like you for, they never loved you," Chris chimed.

    Gregory curled up in a worthless attempt to feel better. "But then I have nobody."

   "You have me. Take care of yourself and you'll have you as well."