*24. The rainbow*

A month after starting his psychological and psychiatric treatment, Krist began to feel things returning to normal. He was back at university, resumed his presence at drama club rehearsals, and even agreed to go to the movies with New and Gun just for fun. And he was really into the movie, even wanted to eat something after, delaying his returned to his home. That was something he didn't do for a long time. Even though he didn't feel completely well, it was obvious that he was on a more positive path. On days when he found it more difficult to socialize or maintain his routine, the boy had the support of his mother and friends to cope with what he could.

Krist's mom had been serious when she vented to him that she too wanted the two of them to find a healthier path for their relationship. She now spent more time at home, and they were doing a lot of things together: watching movies, eating, reading, talking. One night, she introduced her son to her boyfriend. To Krist's surprise, the man seemed to really like his mother, even if he wasn't the type of man he wanted as a stepfather. He was rough and crass, and he has one of the worst sense of humor Krist had ever seen. But he was making his mother happy and that was enough for Krist.

That dinner was planned a week before it happened. In the previous Sunday, while the two had lunch together - something that had become frequent again - Mrs. Perawat found a way to bring up the subject.

"Krist, I'd like to ask your permission for something," she said, which made the boy uneasy. When he remained silent, the woman continued: "I'd like you to meet Max. I think it's time for both of you to meet."

Krist and his mother stared at each other for a few seconds, until the boy finally answered.

"Fine. I'd like to meet him too."

It wasn't the most receptive reaction and he was aware of it, proof that there was still a lot of room for improvement in their relationship. But still he accepted and even offered to cook the dinner, figuring that it would earn him points with his mother after that lukewarm reaction he expressed.

Dinner took place the following Saturday and went very smoothly. The man seemed pleased to meet his girlfriend's son and behaved better than Krist expected. Overall, the dinner was a success. They talked and tried to maintain normalcy. Krist feared the man would say something about his depression, but he stayed clear of the subject. That earned him some points with the boy. He knew that his mother had already talked to her boyfriend about it, because he caught a phone call where he was sure it was the subject of their conversation. But they had been together for a while, and it was normal for a couple to talk about issues with each other. He understood that.

That dinner, as good as it was, reminded Krist of a problem he'd been putting off for weeks: he and Gawin needed to sort out their situation. The boy knew that he had broken up with Gawin and he knew that his ex-boyfriend was still dealing with the grieving process because of First, even as he tried to run that journey so he could finally reach Krist. Were they really ready to be together?

The opportunity for that conversation arose in an unusual way, after the last theater club rehearsal before their big debut.

Krist didn't know what made him more nervous that afternoon: Gawin's presence reminding him that there was still unfinished business to deal with, or the prospect of performing in front of a multitude of people he didn't know. His mother didn't want him to participate in the play because she was afraid he wouldn't handle the pressure and nervousness, but Krist had spoken to his psychologist and she recommended that he listen to his feelings and decide if he was ready for that or not, but that she herself didn't had any objections. Still, he knew it was too much pressure he was putting on himself.

Krist and Mike were hanging out together, Gawin had released himself a little early. To Krist's surprise though, he found his ex-boyfriend sitting in the school yard, looking up at the sky in a thoughtful way.