Chapter Three

looking in a mirror.

My world was spinning, I couldn't understand anything. But the sirens were still ringing in my ears, the lights flashing in my eyes. And I was breathing—hard. I looked at Miss Millicent and she was talking to my mother, their voices muffled but I could see their mouths opening and closing. Who was I?

Where am I?

What am I doing here?

"Max...ne." I stared, they—Miss Millicent—was shaking my shoulders, she was telling me something. I can't understand her. Again, her lips were moving but I just couldn't understand, I couldn't hear what she was saying. Then I saw the world stop, it was quiet now. I looked at Miss—no—Aunt Millicent and she looked concern; she then hugged me.

"I'm here, child." She whispered in my ear; I didn't even notice how my tears were still running down my face, but I didn't care, I just hugged her back.

"No one, I mean, No one can hurt you now. I promise." I gripped her dress, pulling her closer. I felt drained, I felt as if I wasn't safe anywhere but right now, I think I am. Maybe just this once.

A few minutes later, some of the police officers left after telling my mother they'll try their best to find my sister. I was sitting by a corner watching Aunt Millicent talking to the very few that stayed, asking for more information... maybe? She constantly glanced at me as if I'd disappear too if she looked away too long. I clung to the scarf she gave me, holding it around my body. I didn't know why I suddenly felt cold, I stared at the ground and felt like I was stepping on ice. I tried to stand up and run to my aunt, but an invisible force made me stay seated.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." I heard a voice say. I turned my head, and someone was sitting next to me... She was staring forward, her lips pursed.

She had wavy, almost curly hair, and they were a nice shade of black. She slouched as if she didn't really want to be here then she turned to me and grinned. I was shocked to see... my face grinning at me! I moved away, her eyes following my own.

"It's uncanny, don't you agree?" she asked, smirking. I could see a slight smear of red lipstick on her right cheek. "Well, speak girl! I don't have all day."

"Who are you?" I asked, trying to act brave as I looked over towards Aunt Millicent and she was frozen in place too. "Don't worry, she won't disturb us." She said once she realized where I was looking. She then stood up.

"You know, it's been so painful in that crummy dungeon." She said, stretching. "It's nice to be free."

"You didn't answer my question." I told her, glaring slightly. I was scared but if my assumption is correct then I have to destroy her!

"Oh goodness child, can't you see who I am?" she questions, a bored tone in her voice.

"I'm your aunt, or whatever." She grumbled. "I can't believe my brother even thought about having kids, at such a young age too!" I saw her roll her eyes, then she snapped her fingers.

"But oh well... I took your sister." She said it so bluntly that it made my blood boil, why couldn't I talk? I need to tell her off! I stood up suddenly, my head spinning.

"You..." I started to say, already growing angry.

"You killed my father! Your own brother!" I yelled, pointing a finger at her. "You robbed me of a life I could have enjoyed. You robbed me of a happy family—"

"Oh dear." She said cutting me off. "Your father was dying with or without me to interfere. You would not have believed me, I wouldn't care, you met Millie already." She said and I noticed the sad tone in her voice, then she cleared her throat.

"But sure, believe that." She muttered angrily, then slapped my hand away. "I came here to show you who you're up against. If you want to kill me, come at me kid." She grinned, as if every ounce of innocence was stripped away from her. I backed away, feeling the weird energy she emitted.

"I'll see you again, Maxine." She said as a dark mist surrounded her but before she could disappear, I tried to slash at her, but I was too late. then everything went back to motion again. I breathed heavily, my head pounding. I walked over to my aunt; she turned and noticed me and quickly nodded towards the police officers before pulling me towards an empty corner.

"Are you alright?" she asked, concerned.

"I saw her." I said, deciding to be truthful and she instantly turned her head and scanned the area.

"Is she still here? Why did you not call me?" she asked frantically, turning back to me.

"She froze everyone, including you. She just came to "show herself" to me. She said if I wanted to blame her for everything I should just do so... she even told me if I wanted to kill her, I should just do it." I stated, blurting everything out in one breath.

"I see." She said, then she held my hand. "Let's go back, I need to talk to my other siblings." She looked sad; she eyed me from head to toe. "I think they'll be delighted to meet you." She told me with a warm smile, and I couldn't help but nod.

What if she is telling the truth?

The nasty voice from before was back, I shivered when I heard it. I looked at aunt and was glad she hadn't seen me wince or recoil. I honestly didn't need any more problems and this voice is just going to get in the way in all of that.

How would you know that?

But there is no hard trying to talk to it, right?

S I L E N C E—

Hello??? Where did you go? HEY!

But the voice was gone. Like it wasn't there to begin with. Did I scare it away somehow? But I wouldn't have right? I shook my head, the last thing I needed was a set of delusions.

Oh god... Elijah I hope you're okay.