Chapter Five

risks.

I was seated at the edge of the table while everyone else surrounded me, they weren't exactly talking to me. They were arguing with each other, and the noises irked me. I tried to get up and leave but they all glared at me, and I had to sit back down. I didn't know it would have been this bad.

"She's an idiot, that's what she is." Said this tall buff dude, his face bare except for the scars he carried like a "chump". I didn't know what they're names were (and I didn't really care at the moment), and I tried to drown their voices the best I can, but it was much easier to do so with just one person. Everyone is just yelling in my face, and I hated it.

"Stop that!" Aunt Millicent stated, slamming her hand on the table. "This is why we never stay in the same place. We always end up yelling at each other."

Their faces contorted into shame. They each looked at each other then looked away; embarrassed. I sighed and raised my hand.

"What now child?" asked this "Ruth" person.

"What's the big deal?" I asked, rolling my eyes, and crossing my arms. "You get to stop all of this if I go, you won't need to see each other again and from what I am seeing—it seems like you don't really like each other anyways." I said, huffing.

"'What's the big deal' she says!" the woman stated mockingly, she pushed herself off her side of the table and approached me. She slammed her gloved hand on the table in front of me. "You do not know what you are dealing with." She snapped and I knew she was angry, but their arguing was getting us nowhere!

"Do you know how much power she'll possess when she gets what she wants?" she asked and I turned to the rest of them, desperately asking for help.

"Ruth... please." One of the older gentlemen said. "She was not brought into this world, please." He pleaded.

"No." She snapped. "She wants to know 'what's up'? then she will!" as she said that she pulled the chair and forced me to face her fully.

"You just don't look like her, you are her exact copy." She sneered at me, and I just sunk into the chair. I gulped. "You possess the same strength as her and I might add, maybe even much greater than Selene herself." She let go of the chair and grabbed me by the collar, glaring deeply into my eyes.

"You..." I could see her jaw tighten. "You have no idea what will happen to this world your father was so careful to build if Selene gets a hold of you!" she yelled and I could see her eyes water then she finally let go and looked away, breathing heavily.

"You are so selfish, Maxine." She stated with so much venom that if made me physically shudder.

"I am willing to risk something for my sister!" I yelled.

"Maxine!" I heard Aunt Millicent scold.

"No. let her." Ruth said. "Let her destroy what her father has created. It's not as if she cared enough." She then began walking away and opened the double doors. "Inform me when Selene arrives." She said then left and soon all of them decided to leave. All of them... even Aunt Millicent and I was left alone.

†††

Nobody wanted to talk to me. They all think I have betrayed them, and I don't blame them. I would think I betrayed them too. It was just so heavy and when I turned to my friends for comfort, they were distant and didn't really know what to do or say but they did try to talk to me. It just didn't work out.

"Hey." I looked up and saw Ember, she sat down next to me on the bench and leaned in and examined my face and I had to turn and look away. Wtf!