And it must follow, as the night the day

I pushed the café door and the moment I let it go, it started to rain. I saw my father talking to an elegant, good-looking woman, I think she was about his age. They looked at me until I was near him.

«Hi dad»

«Heeseung what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at school? What happened to you? Did you cry?» I couldn't look up.

«Do you remember Jean, the bully?» he stopped for a moment to think and nodded.

«Well, he's dead»

«Oh my God how?!»

I told them what happened this morning and they listened. Then my father told his colleagues to continue their work and serve the other customers and hugged me.

«Heeseung, don't think too much about it. Unfortunately it happened and we cannot do anything»

I just wanted to cry. I don't know why but honestly I didn't expect it. And if it was Niki, how the fuck did he do it in four minutes? I hope they don't suspect me because I was there, although I won't have gone unnoticed between the words of the principal and the teacher.

«Now I'll go on with my work. If it can help you, chat a little with this beautiful lady» my father smiled amused.

«Madam, how long have you known my father?» the woman chuckled.

«We've known each other for about three months and I come here to have breakfast almost every morning»

«Three months?! And I never knew!»

But when was my father going to tell me?? The way they talked and looked at each other was just the 'more than friends' one. Gosh, didn't she have a husband?

«I'm sure he would have told you this week anyway. Your father is a good man»

«Excuse me for asking, but aren't you married?» her smile seemed not to shine as before.

«I am now a widow, like your father. My husband died in the accident six years ago in that factory»

Like mom.

«I'm so sorry madam, I didn't want to-»

«Oh come on don't worry, it's over now and I've managed to accept it, however my son has not taken it very well. He became pretty reserved, he distanced himself from all his friends, he almost never leaves his room and often answers me badly»

«I see, it's not easy. What's your son's name?»

«First of all, feel free not to use all these formalities with me. My son is Sunghoon and he's almost your age»

«What school does he go to?»

«Next week he'll start attending your high school. I had to get him to switch schools every year because teachers said he was too introverted and they didn't want him. In addition, recently, he argued with his boyfriend and they broke up, so he became even more grumpy»

We talked until 1:00 pm, and my dad finished to work for today.

«If you don't mind, would you like to come to my house, have lunch and spend some time together? My son must already have cooked something»

«Yeah it's a pleasure my dear. Come Heeseung, we'll go with her car»

Why so much familiarity? What were they hiding from me?

The route was rather short and silent. It had stopped raining, but the clouds remained. We stopped in front of a beautiful modern two-story house and I assumed that we had arrived. The gate was already open, so we went through the garden, with a pool, and a guy opened the door. It must have been Sunghoon.

«Mom you didn't tell me we had guests for lunch. I don't think the stuff is enough for them too»

«There is no problem, honey, I'll deal with it. You go to set the table»

The woman went to the kitchen and the son helped her out, while my father and I sat on the sofa observing the details of the living room.

«It's ready, come here!»

We reached the dining room and the dishes were already full of delicious food. The table was for six people, my father sat in front of her and I sat in front of Sunghoon. What a nuisance. It didn't make me feel comfortable having him so close. I felt like he couldn't stand me. One detail of him struck me. In the ring finger of his left hand he wore a particular black ring with blue inlays that gave him an aura of mystery. Anyway, I finished my meal and enjoyed it.

The two adults chatted as if they had been friends for a lifetime and sometimes she complimented me. Yes, definitely embarrassing. Especially when there's someone who doesn't stop staring at you with dark eyes like he's looking for a way to get rid of a body. He hadn't said a word once, he was slightly pale and his pitch-colored hair covered his eyes. Too much black. Black hair, black eyes, black clothes. He was such a depressing and spooky person.

«I need to go the bathroom, where can I find it?»

«Down the hall, the last door you see»

I went where indicated to refresh a bit. I closed the door, rinsed my face and hands. While I was adjusting my silver locks I realized that the door opened slowly. I felt eyes on me, those of a dark figure back there. Guess who it was.