Are what we must survive

Two weeks had passed in constant tension for fear of being the next, while we were left alone. Every day, the news were only about reports of people missing or killed in the most ruthless ways. Terror reigned. In addition to going to school we tried to stay at home as much as possible, even if there was an equal chance of being in danger even within our own walls.

Every night, when 00:00 strikes, Sunghoon and I did not dare to be in two different rooms, during those moments that seemed endless. After a minute, everything was back to normal, let's say a kind of apparent tranquility, since the work had already been done, by now.

Who knows if this criminal will stop. Or maybe he's still looking for? How long will it go on? I couldn't figure out what his game was and, above all, why I kept finding pieces of paper with threatening messages. What the fuck did they want from me and Sunghoon? They almost ran him over the other night. I can't take this anymore.

Luckily Jungwon, when he had time, came to us to keep us company. Mostly to keep us safe. He told that Jay was extremely busy and it was complicated to jump out of this intricate circle. He also said the killer was using a very distinctive strategy. With each murder, instead of gathering clues and discovering the criminal, it became increasingly difficult to find information that could lead back to his identity.

Finally it was Saturday, it was a heavy week. I would have spent the weekend with Sunghoon strictly at home. While our parents were away, we slowly got closer, seeing how things were out there. At least we were able to make a simple speech without insults. Not to mention the sentence he told me that afternoon. I won't be able to look at him the same way again. Yet I don't know how to act. I wish I could do something, but at the same time this new feeling scares me, so I end up doing nothing.

Sometimes I stop to look at him and I notice that his icy expression has a certain something alluring. The way he looks at me is so different. He often makes eye contact with me that I can't keep, which makes me look away causing more embarrassment. Sunghoon is unpredictable and not so easy to understand, so I think my task will be far from easy.

«Heeseung do you mind going to the grocery store to get something? Because our poor fridge has emptied a little and feels lonely»

Very good. Now Sunghoon was literally treating the fridge like a person. Let's pretend I didn't hear anything.

«Yes I'm going now»

«Please, be careful Heeseung»

We had just come home from school and he was cooking. I went out and walked to the store, it was quite close.

«Heeseung!»

I stuck right where I was.

«Who is it?!»

I didn't see anyone around me, the fear started to take over. From behind a hand came upon my eyes and a person led me back. I wanted to get free and run, but if he was armed, it wouldn't have been a good idea, so I didn't move. He took his hand off my eyes and wrapped it around my neck, pushing me back until I found myself with my back against the wall. I saw we were in another alley, where nobody could see what was happening, because the entrance was hidden. I couldn't make out his face, he was dressed in black and hooded.

«Who are you?! What do you want?»

He didn't answer. There was a strong smell of smoke coming from him. His hands were cold, one holding my neck, the other against the wall. All this was familiar to me. My heart was pounding in my chest, I was terrified.

«Calm down!»

«Calm down? How could I stay calm when in front of me there's a bitch who threatened to kill me last week?!»