Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Grace

 Jaxon had cheered me up when I felt like I was starting to slip again. I had been moping with my eyes closed when I heard him move the curtain. He was probably disgusted by what I looked like; I had to settle with sponge baths until I was able to get out of bed.

"So do you live in Ireland?" I asked him.

I felt the bed move and knew he had sat on it.

"That'll always be my home, but right now I'm living in London mainly, when I'm not... tou-traveling." He said the last part quickly, causing me to scrunch my nose in confusion.

"Where are you travelling?" I asked curiously.

"Literally everywhere. The lads and I were just stopping in LA briefly when I heard the news about my uncle." He said sadly.

"Things will get better, I'm sure of it." I assured him with a smile.

"You're really something, you know." He said warmly.

"How so?" I asked shyly, playing with a lock of my hair.

"Even with everything that's happened, you're still positive. I think that's amazing." He replied.

I smiled. "Thank you. It means a lot...I'm trying my hardest."

I heard a man clear his throat and Jaxon got off the bed.

"Miss Tanner?" I heard someone ask.

"Um... yes?" I asked, confused.

"I'm from child services. Your Doctor told you I was coming, right?"

Oh, goody. I dreaded what he was going to tell me.

Jaxon spoke up, "I guess I'll talk to you later, Grace. It was nice meeting you."

"See you later." I grinned in the direction I thought he was.

"My name is Will; I'm the agent taking care of your case. Your doctor informed us that you will be able to leave within the week."

I grimaced- at this point I would rather live at the hospital than go into foster care.

He continued, "We have a group home not far from here, in Los Angeles. I have contacted the people appropriate to make this happen, and they have given you the option of moving back to Vancouver or staying in Los Angeles."

I gasped. I hadn't expected that. I missed Harper so much, and was pretty mad she hadn't made an effort to contact me. I had called her several times and left messages telling her where I was, but still nothing.

"I think I'd like to stay here. There really isn't much for me in Vancouver anymore. Maybe this could be a fresh start."

"That's a good way to look at it. We will gather all of your personal belongings from your home, as well as any memorable things and put them in a storage locker for you. Your community has raised money in order to pay for the unit to hold everything. Unfortunately, that's all we will be able to do."

I felt tears pooling in my eyes. "That's all I could ever ask for," I said gratefully.

"I will be back to get you when you are released from the hospital. I think you'll like the home. Nice meeting you, Grace." He said before he walked away.

I sighed as I closed my eyes. I was starting over.