Part 2 - Evelyn

➽──────────────❥

Evelyn has always been protective of her little sister, Mia. Ever since their dad left them, she knew their mother was not in a position to mentally support them.

When Mia fell gravely ill and was admitted to the hospital months ago, Evelyn's heart could not take as much. She worked two jobs to be able to provide for her family, but that was not nearly enough. You see, being a writer gave Evelyn, freedom —air to breathe. In the mornings, she worked as an editor's assistant to the local newspaper, and by night, she served as a waitress at a random bar. A job she loathed.

Evelyn's heart ached with worry about her sister, when her mother called her that morning stating that Mia's condition was worsening, she stormed out of Brown Aroma and got to the hospital as soon as possible.

She hated hospitals, even after it had formed into a habit, going there so frequently. She walked through the sterile hallways filled with sights and cries of other families going through their own hell. And she almost felt nothing; she was used to the numbness.

She was standing before a door with A256 written on it in silver, bold letters. She took the handle between her fingers, pulling the door open. Evelyn found Mia laying down on her white bed. The room was filled with monitors and IV poles. Mia was pale and had even lost a little bit of weight.

She approached her sister cautiously, trying to hide the tears welling in her eyes. That day Mia did not welcome her, she was unconscious, she did not flash her sister a big toothy smile, nor did she wrap her small hands around her shoulders.

Her mother was sitting in an armchair by the window, looking outside, the rain still had not stopped.

They did not talk. Evelyn, deep down, knew why her mother called. She was aware that Mia's survival rate was low. She thought maybe it was the best for Mia, she would peacefully rest and not have to go through any more tests, surgeries, or consultations with specialists. But most importantly, she did not have to witness the hope draining from her family's eyes.

Although Evelyn was selfish. She did not want to lose her sister. Their bond was unbearable. She knew if Mia was to die, Evelyn would have to live for both of them. But she was not sure if she would be able to do so. She certainly did not want to.

Evelyn held Mia's hand tenderly, maybe for hours. She had placed a chair by the bed, trying to be as close as possible to her sister. Mia's eyes flattered, focusing on her sister. She was too weak, but the only thing she managed was a faint smile. Even in her contention, she attempted to reassure her sister.

A soft knock was heard. Evelyn knew who it was. Every Monday at five o'clock in the afternoon, a team from the local conservatory would come to the hospital dressed as cartoon heroes and play music for the children, room by room.

Mia's eyes, although tired and almost lifeless, sparked to the idea of some soft music. Angelic, melodic sounds filled the cold and depressing room.

But Evelyn noticed something she had not noticed before.

And that was none other than a pair of ice blue eyes.

➽──────────────❥

Hello everyone! Hope you're having a great day!

Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote!
-Desp.