Part 3 - Evelyn

➽──────────────❥

Evelyn did not go to work that night. She was most likely going to get fired, but she didn't mind. She hated that job either way.

She preferred staying on her little sister's side. After the musicians left, the little girl closed her eyes again. She felt tired and drained.

The night sky just turned black, filled with shining dots all over. The doctor came by to check his patient, but did not deliver good news—by any means.

Little Mia had lost her battle a long time ago, the only things keeping her alive anymore, were the machines around her. Even that was not enough anymore—not for much more.

Evelyn tried to pray. Her hands were shaking, and tears kept streaming down her cheeks. She silently sobbed, her heart was aching, longing for something impossible. Her thoughts were a mess, she asked for a miracle, she wished to switch places with her sister. She had already given up.

Her mother, motionless, still sitting on the armchair, her gaze traveling to both of her children. One on a deathbed, and the other wishing to be on one. Her heart had been broken for too long, so long.

She brought her daughters to this world, through pain they came, giving pain they leave. And now, one was leaving, tearing a part of motherhood away, like a stab to an already broken heart.

She prayed. But prayers never felt enough, tears never felt enough, screams never felt enough. Nothing ever felt enough, to completely and utterly describe the void she felt inside.

Evelyn, approached her mother. She sat down, on the cold floor, right in front of her mother's legs. She used to do it as a kid, when her mother would braid her long brown hair. A sense of comfort overwhelmed her.

But now, the mother placed her daughter's head in her lap, softly caressing her tangled brown locks. Evelyn's shoulder shook as she continued to sob, wetting her mother's skirt.

Evelyn woke up to a sudden burst of noise coming from one of the machines inside that worn-out place. Two doctors and a nurse, hot on their heels, came running into the room.

Evelyn's screams and cries could not reach even her own ears, her legs had given up on her, feeling numb. The nurse escorted the mother and daughter to the aisle outside the room A256. She sat down on an orange plastic chair, when her vision filled with black little dots, her head felt heavy. She could not breathe.

She was very well aware that her sister would be leaving them soon. But nothing could prepare her for that moment.

Lost, so lost she felt.

The door opened again, both of them jolted out of their seats, approaching the doctor.

There was nothing they could do. That's what he told them.

That day, was the day in which Evelyn's heart was laying on the dirty floor of a hospital she hated. Shattered, unable ever to be fixed.

Because her little sister left her last breath on a bed she was never meant to be on, no kid should be on those beds.

She hated those, she hated the color white; and most of them all she hated the sound of those machines. Because that sound was going to haunt her for the rest of her life, and not her sister's laughter.

➽──────────────❥

Hello my beloved readers!
Tissues anyone?🤧

One more to go before we reach the end of this story!

Have a great day, and don't forget to vote!

-Desp.