Chapter 16

Geto saw a familiar forehead in the crowd and ushered him up to the stage with a tone implying reward.

He would make up for having murdered Kuroi and Amanai in cold blood.

Geto sighed, rocking back on his heels, letting the mic drop back into his oversized sleeve as he looked up. He felt the blood splattered on his cheek but attempting to wipe it off was futile. "You're all the same," he murmured under his breath.  

Gojo felt an inability to eat, wondering when the feelings of vicious anxiety would go away. Would they ever? He wondered. He tried to muscle down a favorite snack and could only think about the times he'd shared it with Suguru. He wondered if the inability to chew and swallow was what Geto had to deal with when consuming curses and once again he was thinking about him.

No distraction, training regimen, or new train route could take him away from those thoughts and memories for more than a moment. He surrounded him everywhere.

He switched from his expensive sunglasses almost permanently. Dark blindfolds better-concealed tears that managed to escape. As well as expressions of loss and betrayal.

Once again, Yaga tried his best to time events correctly.

"Alright so, I think you're staying here for the time being." Gojo stood awkwardly, looking down at the young boy who spoke few words.

"Why do you wear that?" He pointed to the black fabric.

"I'll explain it some other time. Do you wanna come in?" He stepped to the side of the door frame, glancing back to Yaga who didn't see his stare but watched on at the scene.

"No." Megumi pouted.

"Megumi..." Yaga's voice became a stern warning.

"He's weird." Megumi looked at Yaga.

"Yeah well, you're weird too. At least I've got fun snacks." Gojo replied, just wanting to get this over with. He'd had enough of babysitting kids recently.

"Gojo," Yaga equally warned.

"What sort of snacks..."

"You have to come in to find out."

"I'll pick you up Monday, Megumi." Yaga left and Gojo simultaneously shut the door to his apartment, having just enough space as the boy had stepped forward.

"Here, let me show you your room." He quickly changed subjects.

Megumi looked around the fancy apartment. It had more than he'd ever seen, with incredible views out every window, and expensive appliances for all household tasks. He wondered if this dude had ever needed to wash any dishes.

Gojo had been distracted positively in transforming a spare room into one for the Fushiguro boy. He'd spent nearly a week going from one store to the next. There was a bookshelf in need of filling, and he figured that with time they could do such a thing. He was determined to make the boy like him and eventually teach him everything he knew. Gojo had bought new pillows and a warm bedspread. There were different toys from small cars to fluffy animals to drawing supplies.

Yaga had informed him of his fear of the dark, and so he'd also bought a small plug-in night light and warm glowing lamps for around the room.

Megumi once again stood at just the doorway, afraid to fully enter. He'd never had so much in all his life. Hesitantly he looked around and walked in, feeling the rug under his socks as he peered into the closet, but didn't remove his backpack.

"Okay so, I have things I need to work on. Just let me know when you want those snacks." Gojo said, knowing he was just slightly manipulating the child, knowing he had zero work to be worked on, and knowing it would work as a ploy. He giggled to himself, conniving

Geto had spent all he had on the venue, but "donations" of money quickly racked back up enough for him to buy the girls new clothes and necessities, and eventually, much more. They lived together in an "apartment" a floor above his staged area. It took a while for it to resemble a home at all.

It was barren, with only a few small things he'd managed to smuggle out of his old apartment at the start.

He bought an odd assortment of things. A sewing kit which he used in order to make a sling for the sister who spent her time holding a large stuffed toy. It ensured she'd no longer drag the creature through the mud or against the ground.

There were mats for sleeping on and a few throw blankets for colder nights. Additionally, Geto stocked up on non-perishable foods and also bought a book on parenting.

With everything else, in the small bathroom there was a framed photo of him, Gojo, and Riko at the beach that her caretaker had snapped. But that was the extent of their belongings, to begin with anyway.

Geto looked into the mirror and could no longer see who he was. Not that he regretted this life, but he did hold regrets and grief for other decisions. They were the ones that hurt most to suppress.

Gojo smirked, it was the first time he'd been distracted enough to forget the loss his body weighed down with. He was working on a small buffet, with napkins each featuring one of every sweet snack and candy he stocked up on for Megumi to try.

The boy came wandering back in cautiously and feasted his eyes on the display.

The two shared a sweet tooth, and Megumi loved the caramel kettle corn best, which Gojo thought to be a very fine choice.

"Do you have a toothbrush?" Gojo asked.

"No."

"All your teeth are gonna rot and fall out of your head."

"No! You're lying." Megumi flicked to instant worry.

"Am I?"

"Well... what do I do?"

"I'll get another toothbrush but there's no way in hell you're using mine. You can just put a bit of toothpaste on your finger and rub it over them."

Megumi's eye twitched.

Night quickly set down upon the apartment and dark patches hung over the corners of rooms. Gojo noticed Megumi becoming a little more antsy again, frowning at the areas.

"Here, I think this can help," Gojo handed him a small flashlight he'd bought at the store. "You wanna walk back to your room with it?" He asked.

Megumi flicked on the switch, checking each area of darkness before standing up and facing the dim hallway. He scanned it from side to side and Gojo followed behind him at a distance, just in case he needed it.

They made it safely and Megumi tucked himself into bed with the flashlight still by his side.

"Do you want me to put that here?" Gojo asked, pointing to the low side table. Megumi shook his head with the same downturned frowning expression as his father, which was enough for Gojo to recall the not-so-friendly encounter in a split second.

"Hey watch this." Gojo squatted by the side of the bed, turning the flashlight on its side and pointing it at the wall across the room. He folded his hands into sub-par shadow puppets. A wonky crab, a bird, and a slightly too human-looking dog.

"Those look horrible."

"Okay well, you try then." He glanced to Megumi.

Megumi shuffled over to be closer to the light and clasped his hands together in the shape of a dog's head like he'd seen Gojo do.

"WHAT THE-"