Chapter 3: Unusual Companionship

Darnell and Kieth shared a friendship that could only be described as unconventional. Darnell's towering stature at 6'5" made him an imposing figure, but when it came to Kieth, it took on an entirely different dynamic.

One of Darnell's favorite pastimes was to pick up Kieth effortlessly. It became a sort of routine within their friendship. He'd scoop Kieth up and carry him somewhere, whether it was to show him something important, gently move him out of the way, or even use him as a navigation system. Darnell found that Kieth had an excellent sense of direction. Having Kieth on his shoulders ensured that he never got lost! He also made for an excellent extra set of pockets, often stashing snacks and random items for convenience.

The only downside was that Darnell was 120% forbidden from bringing Kieth on missions or product testing sites. If anything were to happen to Kieth, Pico would never forgive him. Not to mention he would, quote, "Pop a cap so big in Darnell's big brained ass that Darnell would be rendered a vegetable for the rest of his life." And Darnell believed him, so he didn't. He still pouts about it sometimes though.

One of the situations where this dynamic truly shone was during grocery shopping trips, an activity that Darnell absolutely loathed. Kieth hated grocery shopping just about as much as he did. So Kieth, ever the clever one, had devised a snack toll in exchange for his services. If Darnell wanted Kieth to ride on his shoulders and assist with grocery shopping, he had to pay the toll, which usually consisted of donuts or McDonald's fries. Kieth occasionally threw in some mood-based negotiation just for fun.

"Aye Backpack?"

"Hmm?"

"I need you on my shoulders man, I gotta go grocery shopping."

"Again?"

"Pico's greedy ass fault."

Kieth believed him. Pico would cause misery sometimes by eating all of the groceries his friends would put in the fridge. He'd eat the good groceries too like the steaks and burgers that Darnell liked to make. This caused Darnell unspeakable levels of anger. Unfortunately, blood wasn't allowed on the carpets. Kieth groans loudly with frustration.

"Ugh, I'll need to have another talk with him about that. Welp! You know the rules. If you want my services, you have pay the toll."

"Ah c'mon Kieth! I just said Pico's hungry hippo ass ate all of the groceries. The good groceries! I don't have anything! Can't I just get you something while we're at the store?"

"Oof, I don't know man. If Pico ate that much then this'll be a long ass trip. Why can't Nene do it?"

"Do you really want Nene to go grocery shopping again, Kieth? Do you really?"

"Well..."

"Do you not value our lives? Kieth?"

"I mean..."

"Will you not rest? Kiethan? Until we're laid out, dead, no longer breathing, on this very carpet? Heart ripped out after you've sacrificed us in the name of your petty whims? Have you no shame? Huh?? Kiemathy?!"

"Alright you've made your point! But I'm charging you extra!"

"Ugh...fine. How much?"

"Get me an order of two large fries at the McDonald's kiosk and you've got yourself a deal."

"That'll work! I'll even throw in a 20 piece McNugget just cause I like ya a lot."

"Awww! Darnell! That's so-!"

"Under the condition that you wave the next toll."

"I...should've seen that coming."

But their connection extended beyond these random interactions. Sometimes, during group conversations or while lounging around the house, Darnell would silently approach Kieth and lift him, cradling him like a plush pillow. Kieth, with his soft and squishy form, was surprisingly comfortable, and he didn't mind this impromptu display of closeness.

Pico, with surprising amounts of patience and understanding, never felt threatened by the nature of Kieth and Darnell's relationship. He knew that Darnell was aromantic and asexual, completely uninterested in romantic or physical relationships with anyone, Kieth included. And Kieth, with his unwavering loyalty, had a secret plan to marry Pico someday, a plan he hadn't yet disclosed to his beloved.

Their friendship was a testament to the idea that bonds could take on unique forms, defying conventional expectations, and it was something that Kieth cherished. In this little world they had created together, quirks and all, they found solace and comfort in each other's company. Plus, who doesn't like being carried?!