Chapter 52: A Formulating Plan

Whatever I was laying on was cold and hard. My head was throbbing and it felt like something had dried from under my nose. I lifted my hand to see what it was and found tiny pieces of dried blood on my finger tips. My nose had to have been bleeding.

"Sorry about that," a voice sounded from the corner. That voice sounded all too familiar and my heart dropped when I realized who it was. "But I was planning to hit you in the back of the head instead of the front. I don't think your nose is broken though."

"Who are you and what do you want?" I said as I looked around the room for Darian. I spotted him right away. He was still unconscious and laying only three feet away from me. I went to him right away but stopped when I felt the tugging on my wrists.

The woman laughed. "You should be more concerned about yourself right now. And besides, how could you ever fall for someone like him? How could you fall for a man who's killed hundreds of your people?"

That voice. It was so familiar but there was something different about it. I knew the voice, I knew who was standing in front of me. But how could there be so much anger in someone who has shown me nothing but kindness?

"What happened to you?" I asked.

She didn't respond to my question right away so I assumed she either didn't expect it or didn't think I would figure out who she was.

"What do you mean?"

"I guess I should have been more specific when I asked the question. What in the hell happened to you, Briana?"

She stood still in the corner for a long time until she finally lifted the hood from her face and then the mask from her eyes.

"How did you—"

"You must think I'm incredibly stupid to not recognize your voice after I've known you for my entire life."

She took off her hood and I came face to face with the first person who ever showed me friendship in life.

My friend.

Now I'm an enemy, it seems. How much more pain will I have to go through in order to get my happy ending?

After everything Brock had said about Bri being suspicious and how I even defended her. I should have listened to him. I should have known better and seen past my feelings for her. I trusted Bri and she betrayed me.

Darian suddenly shifted and I saw his eyes flutter open at last.

"Took you long enough," Bri said, rolling her eyes.

I ignored her, trying my best to suppress all my feelings. "Are you okay?" I asked, helping him to sit upright.

"Yeah, I think so. My head hurts though. Where are we?"

"Well," I said as he looked up.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Prince Darian of Trithia." Another wave of dread washed over me as I realized it was Amoras voice now. I could feel a sob working its way up my throat.

Darian sighed, "Amora."

Amora looked to Bri, "Leave us."

"But you promised me I would—"

"And you will! You know what to do next."

Bri nodded and left without saying another word. I wondered what Bri had been talking about just now. After she left, all of my attention was now on Amora.

"I'm going to kill you," I said, making eye contact with her.

She laughed in response.

"Have you seen the situation you're in right now? You're currently locked inside one of my saferooms below the palace. Oh and you're also chained to the floor with no powers to help you escape."