Chapter 53: The End is Near

I knew what I was doing. At least, I thought I knew what I was doing. Right after agreeing to marry Prince Flynn, Brylee left and went back into the castle. She gave me important instructions to head to Trithia and deliver their long lost prince but I had other plans. I didn't intend to leave Brylee to fight Amora alone but I couldn't tell her what I intended to do. I would not forget the terror I wanted to rein down today at my wedding. If it hadn't been interrupted, I would have had Amora on her knees in seconds, begging for life.

If Amora captured Brylee, she might tell Amora my plan and I couldn't risk that. For this to work, I would need the element of surprise. I paced back and forth in the stable while Prince Flynn stood there watching me and holding the horses reins at the same time.

"So let me get this straight," he begins. "You are going to storm right through the palace gates in broad daylight and confront Amora in front of the entire court and your parents?"

I could feel the shadows rumbling inside of me. I barely ever got to use them or even practice. Tonight would count as one of those few times. But I wasn't nervous. In fact, the only thing I felt was calmness and a sense of control. My pacing steps faltered at the mention of my parents.

They're most likely already dead.

I didn't want to believe that they were dead which was odd considering how much I despise them. But something changed in my father today. Like he finally saw the real me after so many long years. My mother, however, would have kept the secret about my powers until the day she died. For that, she deserved every bit of hate I sent her way.

The fire crackled alongside with the shadows in my veins and I could feel the sparks jumping in my fingertips and see the shadows begin to stain my hands black.

I felt unstoppable. I was unstoppable and I am going to destroy anyone or anything that gets in my way.

"My parents are probably already dead." I say. "And yes, that is exactly what I plan to do. And then some," I say, turning to face Flynn.

He paled at the sight of me. His eyes skimmed over my body, taking in my black eyes and arms as well as the fire crackling at my fingertips. I must look like a monster to him.

Good.

"You... You're..." He couldn't seem to get the words out of his mouth. But I noticed that he wasn't scared. He was just... surprised?

"I am Heir to Shadowfire." I say. I could feel the rage already trying to consume me.

Not yet. I tell myself. I will only unleash my emotions when the time's right and that will be when I am standing in front of my court and whatever family I had left, preparing to annihilate them for all that they have done to me.

"The legends... The curse." He says. "Are they true? Are you going to be the destroyer of your kingdom?"

For a moment, I almost want to say no. But my rage consumes me and my mind clouds with revenge. Using my shadow abilities was bringing out the monster inside of me. But I wasn't afraid of it, I embraced it. If becoming a destroyer was my destiny, then so be it.

The only answer I offered was a nod.

"My god," he answered. "Does Darian know?"

I nod again.

"Shit." He said, running a hand through his ruffled hair. "Who else?"

I shake my head. "No one else... except you."

I could have sworn I saw fear creep into his eyes but only for a second.

He laughs, surprising me, though it sounds more like a nervous laugh which I smirk at. "Well, this only excites me more about being my queen."