Virginia

TW: alcoholism, abuse

As I watch Margaret (I believe that's her name), I recall my parents' behavior towards me. It never was the... best.

~———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————~

My father took another sip of his fourth glass of wine. The more he drank, the more agitated and angry he got. And when he got angry, he would hit my... mom. And she would hit me and my brother. Quite traumatizing for a 2-year-old, wouldn't you think?

"Mildred, dear... what are you wearing?" my father asked. My mother, funnily enough, was wearing a rather normal outfit for her: her nurse clothes.

"Whatever are you going on about? This is perfectly fine," my mother retorted. I grabbed Francis's hand. I was scared, even though this was quite a regular occurrence in this household.

"What do you mean? You're wearing that dress that I hate." My father raised his voice and stumbled off the couch.

"James, I don't have time for this, I need to go to work! Watch the kids, please." My mother tried to walk out the door.

"You are not going anywhere," my father said in a threatening voice. He raised his hand, and...

SLAP!

Mother crumpled to the floor. Father left the living room to his office. To do what? No idea.

Francis ran to Mother, saying, "Momma! Are you okay?"

She didn't say anything, only slapping his hand away. "I'm fine. Go away."

~———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————~
It was about 4 months after that event that my father left. Then, my mother's well-being just deteriorated during the 4 years afterwards.

Margaret looks directly at me. I must have zoned out during my thinking and lifted my invisibility!

As I turn invisible again, she says, "Vir-Virginia?" I panic and run back to the dormitory.

Mormo waits for me outside the door, like I asked him to.

"So? Have you decided who to target so I know what spell to practice?" I question.

"Yes. We go for Robert," he says.

I hate Robert with every cell of my body. He was the one to start bullying me in the first place and was always the most ruthless of them all. I've hit him so many times, but he's never stopped. So clearly, murder was the only option.

"Smart. I agree. Now let me in before they get suspicious."

Mormo obliges and opens the door. Footsteps echo in the hall behind me, and I dash into the dormitory, to my secluded corner in the back.

Now I have to figure out what Robert is afraid of. Death is a logical option, but I want something more creative...

Mormo enters the room.

"What took you so long?" I ask.

"That new nurse saw me."

"She WHAT?! I thought only the people with witch blood could see you. Other than my brother, I hid you from him."

"Well, I guess she has witch blood," he says snappily.

My anger flares up and my hand glows a dark purple. I thrust it out in front of me, and Mormo slams into the wall behind him.