Prolouge

Gwen, as much as she hated it, would have to work with James.

After she heard the message that James had left her, she was unsure of how she felt. Did she really need his help? She had ways to get to other universes through the portals left behind by him, so what would be the problem?

Yet here she was, standing here in front of him. The person Gwen had despised. Now standing in front of her, as a "friend".

James had called her to his lab in his universe. Even though she definitely didn't feel like going with him, for now she would have to put up with him.

"Shouldn't the other Gwen be here?", she asked.

"She's... busy", James replied reluctantly.

"Busy figuring out her life?"

"Yeah, something like that."

There was a pause.

"I want to clarify I do not want to go with you on this trip, so just tell me where Miles is and let me use your portals to get there myself.", Gwen said.

"Unfortunately, that's not how that works", James replied.

"Why?"

"Well, first of all, I don't have a portal in every universe."

"I though you did."

"Even if I did, Miles is nothing but a ticking time bomb right now."

"What?"

"He's in another universe, and I doubt the fuser left him strong. His watch is probably fried, and he's probably half way out of existence already."

Wait, what?

This changed everything for Gwen. If Miles still had a chance to die, they needed to get out there, now.

"How are we going to find him?", she asked.

"I have a software that can track large amounts of multiversal energy, so he should show up on here.", James replied, pulling up a small screen on a little watch on his wrist. The watch was a metallic grey, like the rest of his suit.

But as he looked at the watch, his eyes widened in surprise.

"What is it?", Gwen asked.

"Holy shit, he's all over the place.", James replied.

"Let me see.", Gwen said, walking toward him to look at his watch. She saw a flashing dot on the screen, moving to and from multiple little circles. It took a second for it to click in her head.

This meant that Miles was constantly switching between universes. Which would make him even harder to catch.

"What are the chances of him landing in his own universe?", she asked, hoping for some good news.

"In a world of infinite universes, pretty much nothing.", he replied.

There was a moment of silence. This could mean everything. There was no way she could make it to him in time when he's all over the place. Yet, despite the news, she still had hope, hope to find her friend, hope to save him. The tiniest bit of hope matters in a time like this.

After a long pause, James sighed and said, "Let's go find him."

Gwen had one thought running through her head.

I won't stop looking for Miles until he or I dies.

Author's note: In case you couldn't tell, this story is a sequel. If you want to read the first book, it a called The End of All Spiders, and it's on my page. And for those of you who have been waiting for this, I hope you enjoy!