Chapter 2

The sunlight shone brightly behind the New York skyline. Its light painted the city a beautiful tint of yellow-orange. Such a beautiful city, yet in such a desperate time.

Gwen swung through time square. At least she was a little familiar with this New York. Her mind flashed back to around 2 years back, when she and Miles first met. It was such a difficult time, for the both of them. But they overcame it, just as they will overcome this. This is just a bump in the road, nothing more, nothing less. Her mind flashed to kingpin and his goons, trying to bring back someone from the dead, with a machine capable of fracturing the multiverse. She hoped that her and Miles would never come to that.

Her mind snapped back to the present when she and James started getting closer to Miles' apartment. Her and James landed on the wall next to Miles' bedroom window.

"Let's get in there, fill them in, and get out. No need to make this longer than it should be.", James said in his usual gritty, almost-mean voice.

She and James opened the window and climbed inside. Gwen was immediately hit with a wave of sadness as she saw her friend's room. And sitting on his bed, was his dusty, open book, which was flipped to a page of her.

"Hey, you gonna stand there or are we gonna talk to this kid's parents?", James said, snapping her out of her thoughts. She just realized she had been standing there for a while, and James was glaring at her.

Gwen opened the door out of Miles' room and stepped out to see Miles' father and mother standing there. Well, here goes nothing... Gwen thinks, as she starts to talk.

"Hey, you... you might want to sit down..."