Chapter 14

"Upon her father's request, she will not know about the new proposal until she is safe at her home in Duldat."

"Why not? She deserves to know!"

"Soldia doesn't want her to cause a scene; please respect his wishes."

Caleb clenched his fists. But a moment of clarity made him realize that getting upset now wouldn't do much.

"You know I can't lie to her."

"Then don't. I understand that you both have grown closer and closer. But remember your position in this family, what you represent as my son regardless of your origins."

"Are we done then?"

"Not quite." Valum motions Mei to approach with a case.

"What's this?"

"This is our family tradition. Although it may be a bit earlier than I had hoped, our situation is about to change as we know it. Choose one that you feel closest to; the rest will be taken care of."

Mei opens the case to reveal four ore-like rocks, each with a distinctive look and color of minerals.

"I need to choose?"

"Correct, just pick the one that calls to you."

Caleb blinks for a bit. With his right hand, he hovers around the rocks. A weird sensation hums throughout his hand as he approaches each rock. With the sudden reaction, he focuses on which one to choose. Closing his eyes, he centers himself on the one to which he feels stronger to.

A moment passes, and Valum worries that none of them calls to a son of Aris. However, with a quick response, Caleb grasps a grayish hue ore that has distinctive pieces of jagged edges and minerals that glow in the dark.

"That one-that is the one I feel is right."

"Very well, Mei, take this to my contact in the mountains."

"Yes, my Lord." Mei exits just like her father, disappearing in the shadows."

"Now that has been settled, you may return to your brother and young Tia."

"Father, if I may."

"Yes?"

"What if I have to use magic? What if there is no other way?"

Valum closes his eyes and sighs. Knowing that his son has been paranoid about his own abilities, he finally relents to him.

"Caleb, do you know what an artifact is?"

"Artifact? Isn't that some special item that holds magical properties? I know a lot of church priests and healers carry them."

"That's because they don't have abilities like Tia, but they hone their skill through artifacts to replicate the same magic. Of course, the natural power of someone born with this gift is far superior; they are indeed rare. I didn't mean to keep this from you, but this was your mothers..." Valum reaches underneath his shirt and pulls out a unique pendant. The shape is in the form of a circle with symbols engraved into its onyx-like color.

"This was my mother's?"

"This was the artifact that she gave to me. She wished me to remember her with this, but I held onto it for you when the time was right. Well, I guess it is the right time. This artifact will allow you to cast a barrier spell and deflect any attack as long as you can concentrate on it. It won't be magic you have used, but if you are worried about having to resort to it, I want you to use this instead."

Valum places the pendent around Caleb. A look of wonder surrounds the boy. He examines it closely, and a sense of connection burns within his chest.

"I can feel its power..."