Chapter 126

Gale spoke with me about Rys and what happened with Cornelius during our travels. I disclosed that we were able to kill him and leave with our lives but didn't tell him about the true identity of Rys. I promised him I would keep his secret safe, and he would do the same for me. After Herk recovered, everyone shared the experience with Lukia, who missed out on the whole event. She felt ashamed she was too sick to handle anything.

Her condition has more or less improved. She still eats lightly, but it's enough for her to be fine. Sleep was still difficult for her, but with everyone's support, she seemed to progress bit by bit, which is all we could really ask for at this point in our journey. Lukia has found herself more inclined to talk to me out of everyone in the group. Not that I didn't mind, but I thought she would like to ask Gale, but she only responded that she didn't want to bother him much since he already has a lot to focus on with the whole quest and all.

I didn't think about it much. Our talks were awkward initially, but soon, she opened up about her mom and what she felt. I comforted her as someone who knew of her pain. She really liked the little things I did to cheer her up. To be honest, it's what Soriko had done for me that brought me out of the dark. I applied to Lukia. It worked for the most part.

Until Lukia had a bad night during one of our camps; she lay while she was having a terrible nightmare. Worse than before, and she nearly scratched her own neck from the panic. Herk and I had to hold her down. Her nails cut my arm pretty severely, which she quickly apologized for after waking from the nightmare. Herk took care of the scratch, and I stayed up all night talking to her.

After another week of traveling, we arrived at a small town with rooms available in their local inn. Each of us paid for our own rooms. Gale gave Lukia space but told her if she didn't want to sleep alone, she could choose someone to stay with her if she feared hurting herself. Before turning in, Gale approached me and asked me to join him outside the Inn for a walk around town for a talk. He told me to bring my sword and anything else I thought I would need. I set my equipment down except my sword and dagger. Nothing but my casual attire on, I left my room to find Gale outside looking at the moon.

"A beautiful night like this is a reward in itself as an adventurer. Wouldn't you agree, Caleb?" He handed me a small satchel filled with letters. Looking up at the sky and moon, I felt a distinctive pull from it. A small smile appeared across my face before I responded.

"We should take time to absorb moments like these."

"Exactly. That's why I need to talk to you. I saw a patch in the woods where we can talk privately."

"Uhh, if you say so. Mind filling me in?"

"Soon, just come on, follow me."

I didn't think about it much, but we set out into the dark. It didn't take long, but there was a small open field where he said. Walking into the middle of the field, Gale placed his hand on my shoulder. The expression on my face shifted to confusion.

"Gale?"

"I've been thinking about leaving Lukia behind at this rate."

"What?!" I slapped his hand away and backed from him in a fit of anger. "Why?!"

"It would be for her own good. Besides, I am afraid she will get hurt if she continues like this, or worse, one of us will die because of her, and guilt will consume her forever. I rather not do anything like that, but I fear this may be our only option if she doesn't get better. The mountain range is only five days ride away before we reach it. It will take us another week, maybe two, depending on the paths. It should be big enough for our horses to walk as long as we guide them, but it will be slow."