Chapter 1: The biwa demon

As the desperate screams of dying demon slayers rang in the halls and pits of the Infinity fortress, a beautiful woman in a black kimono sat quietly, holding a biwa in her arms. Her long black hair hung behind her, and her bangs usually covering her face were pulled back, revealing one pale pink eye with the Upper 4 kanji in it.

She then sensed demon slayer runnning towards her direction. Most likely hashiras. A few moments later two hashiras appeared from behind the corner. The two tried getting closer to her, which always ended miserably. She simply strum her biwa and sent them away.

As the black haired demon kept sending the two hashiras further away, she looked down. A few floors down, there was another hashira and a lower ranked demon slayer. The two had killed Upper 3 a moment ago. Both badly wounded and drained from their strengt. The battle had exhausted them, it was truly a suprise that they can keep going on.

The younger of the two was the one who Muzan had instructed them to kill. The boy was like their main target. The demon slayer with hanafuda earrings. The biwa demon, her name was Nakime, strummed her biwa and separated the two.

"Tanjirou!" The hashira yelled out.

"I'm fine!" The boy replied.

The serpent hashira appeared behind her and tried to decapitate her. Nakime strummed her biwa again and sent the hashiras somewhere else. She could deal with them later.

Another strum of Nakime's biwa launched the boy up towards Nakime. The boy saw her and tried to attack. Nakime strummed her biwa and knocked the young demon slayer out. He fell and collapsed near Nakime. Nakime raised her bachi to strum again. Just then it seemed like something covered her eye, but it soon dissapeared. The biwa strum and the young boy was crushed underneath a pillar. The blood splattered in a way that felt familiar to Nakime. Well being a demon meant seeing a lot of blood.

"Wonderful job Nakime." Muzan's pleased voice rung in Nakime's ears. "You killed the boy with hanafuda earrings. Once the battle is over, you'll be promoted to Upper 2."

"I am honored, Muzan-sama." Nakime answered.

Nakime glanced at the hanafuda boy's bloodied corpse.

Huh?

For a fleeting moment, Nakime saw something else. A dark room with a bloodied corpse of a young child wrapped into a berry bush patterned blanket. The child was laying in a pool of blood and dirt. Snow was entering the room through a broken up door, slowly covering the small child.

What the-?

The moment Nakime blinked, the vision was gone and she was staring at the body of a young demon slayer.

What- What was that just now?

Nakime pushed the sudden sight into the depts of her mind and focused. Her sensed felt weird, dulled. Nakime continued to strum the strings of her biwa. And every time her eye wandered to look at the red headed human, she felt an unpleasant feeling of deja vu. Every time the sight of that mysterious bloodied child came to her, Nakime felt like she wanted to scream. Something deep inside of her mind cried and screamed, wanting to cradle the dead infant.