Dissociate

Warnings : dark themes and deep conversation, descriptions of death and sweet moments

Coming out of my cageAnd I've been doing just fineGotta gotta be downBecause I want it allIt started out with a kissHow did it end up like this?

And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this?

—————-
The summer had died, the kids went home and enjoyed their break from homework and teachers. Enjoyed being away from the pressure of tests, college possibilties and from fellow peers. They could shut off from the things made their day to day lives like caffeteria food, gym smells and crappy friends. They could be kids, no responsibilites other than to be just that, kids. Yet a single club kept going. This group of kids still collected in the gym, still talked about school and their problems. Still had to face day in and day out the joys of highschool education. Not to mention, the joys of being dead.

"I thought I did something wrong" Rhonda looked down, an angry expression covering her pretty face. "But that wasn't true, no.I was done wrong, I deserved better. It took me a long time to realise that" The group was quiet, a few looking at her, others at their shoes or somewhere far off in another time. Rhonda readjusted in her chair. "If there's anything that I could tell anyone in this shitty situation was that, you don't deserve this and I get it cause neither did I"

Jo, their latest club attendee was staring at her hands, her index finger picking away at the skin of her thumb.

"Thank you Rhonda, that is something we could all say to each other as a reminder from now on, well done" Their teacher, Mr Martin nodded clasping his hands together. "Who would like to go next?"
The group of teenagers went quiet, looking between themselves as if begging someone other than their ownselves would raise their hand to talk. Mr Martin, well versed in teaching and speaking with teens, was patient.
"Anyone? doesnt have to be on this spesific subject could be about anything they've learned? just to share with the group and who knows might encourage someone else?" He smiled gently, looking around the group only to see Jo raise her thumb to her mouth to bite at her nail. "Josephine?"

The group turned their heads to look at her. She didn't register at first, something else eating away at her brain like a disease pulling reality from her eyes. She didn't hear him, in fact Mr Martin believed if he'd dropped a piano from the roof in front of her she wouldn't notice. The girl had been quiet, far too quiet for his liking. And if his time as a teacher had taught him anything was that if a child had the tendancy to turn internal when things rose up in a difficult situation, then it could lead to more issues in the future. Jo hadn't raised her hand all summer, never opened her mouth during sessions and barely took part in any of the fun things they planned anymore. In fact, the only people Jo seemed to talk to was Wally, her boyfriend and on the occasion himself.

"Jo?" He repeated a little louder but still gentle. Wally, who was seated beside her, reached out and carefully touched her hand and strayed it away from her mouth. She met eyes with him first, as if woken up from a dream. Wally motioned his head toward Mr Martin and finally the teacher had the student's attention. "Jo I was asking if you had anything you wanted to talk about?, you haven't shared with us in awhile, why not tell us how you've been feeling?" She took in a breath as if it was physically painful to do so. She was anxious, Mr Martin could tell as much. "What's on your mind Ms Finnes?"