CHAPTER 17: "Secondhand Heart"

It was in the middle of December, Red and Liz were attending the annual holiday party. One of Liz's friends always threw a Christmas party every year at an really extravagant ballroom at hotel in DC .

It had been almost a year since Red had the incident, and they started building a family, They loved every minute of it. Red couldn't think of a time that he'd been happier.

It was about half way through the party, and Red and Liz were sitting at a table with some of her friends.

After getting to know some of them and having a few dances with Liz, Red excused himself.

As Liz watched him walk away, she thought to herself, something is off about him today. But she just ignored that niggling feeling and turned back to her friends.

Walking into a changing room near to the venue, Red started to change his clothes. He took of his fedora and start to take off his tie. He knew there was no turning back now.

After a few minutes, Dembe quietly walked in the room to check on his friend. He found Red just standing there with his back toward him.

Red stared into the full length mirror, mesmerized.

After 20 years getting to know him, Dembe knew he was nervous, but he gave an encouraging smile to Red through the mirror.

It was the first time in years that he wore his dress blues; from his cap, to all of the medals he earned.

He remembered his military days like it was yesterday....

The wide opens seas with no land in sight for miles. The worthy men who were under his command.

Standing at the helm and feeling the spray of the sea on his face.

All so vivid...

Captain Reddington...

Such Heaven...

...But then there's Lizzie. His Lizzie.

It had been almost two years since he entered her life and turned her world upside down. He thought back to the first night they made love. It was indescribable to him.

Still gazing into the mirror, Red recalled that night vividly...

Lizzie came to him after Red took a bullet for her earlier that day. One of Berlin's hitmen made an attempt to kill her and failed miserably.

After the incident, he was attempting to clean and change the bandage on his arm when she quietly entered his bedroom.

Nothing was said...

Liz removed his hands and took over re-bandaging his stitches. Red couldn't keep his eyes off her. The way the moonlight hit her was breath-taking...

She was the definition of Beauty.

Finished with the dressing, she looked up at him. At that moment he knew she saw the real Raymond Reddington. The man that was in so in love with her.

He cupped her cheek softly with his hand as his lips met hers.

The warmth of her lips, her soft skin, her mind, and her soul were all his; As he was all hers.

The kiss became more and more passionate until they both ended up under the covers in each other's arms.

His hands were everywhere on her magnificent form, wanting to explore all of her. As she gave in to her moment of ecstasy, He came soon after and moaned her name surrendering his soul to her. "Lizzie...." They made love many times into the early morning hours.